Subbuteo - Being Relaunched Today

That was a real game

It was the champion game of all

No-one under the age of 30 will be buying it.

Who had subbuteo back in the day and what accessories did you have?
I had floodlights and a scoreboard, a five a side pitch and small fencing for the big pitch.
Nicest strip - that Spurs one with the diagonal lines on the chest followed closely by the classic West Germany effort.
Worst strip - the Scotland one with the ridiculous shorts they had for the 86 world cup.

I had a commentary box, floodlights and the green fencing around the pitch. That fencing was always getting in the way, but handy for stopping wayward passes.

there was another game before that called striker, in that game the legs of the player moved if you pressed on the head. I found those figures very usefuly in subbuteo for taking corners etc

I liked the england '82 strip with the union jack across the top of the jersey, and the brazil '78-86 strip with the light blue shortd not that new nike navy strip.

I had a france team from '83 where 2 of the players were black mimicking Tigana and Tresor, great attention to detail

I had the fencing around the pitch too and the floodlights. Built a stadium out of lego. The accessories were magnificent but they were all absolute hindrances to game play.

The accessories were fantastic but the game itself was brutal. All interest was lost after about 5 minutes.

Always more of a tomy super cup football man myself, great craic, even if the noise of it was deafening

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App

Do you still train on it?

Glued the Subbuteo pitch to a big piece of plywood back in the day. Great playing surface.

A right bastard if you stepped on a player in bare feet though.

1 Like

Boom :lol:

:lol:

Ah lovely!!

joint effort at home with my brother. We got the floodlight world cup edition for Christmas around 1980 and added stands & spectators (total rip-off) 10 or so teams (Holland/Blackpool was best), scoreboard, tv tower, corner takers, sideline throwers, training aids (yellow plate with holes to hang on the goals) and probably a lot more. Mother threw it all out when she moved house, she has not been forgiven yet after 11 years.

So I bought a set on ebay and play it from time to time with my own boys. they beat me at FIFA, I beat them at subbuteo.

Rocko,
we never thought of a lego stadium, that was a great idea. Would you have a photo? :clap:

:smiley: :clap:

I never had Subbuteo and always thought it was shit. The sort of anal rules pissed me off aswell, you couldn’t just blast a player at the ball, no you had to keep your finger on the surface. Did the game even work ffs? Any time I saw it played a fight broke out after a minute.

rules are there to be broken SS, mere guidlines, you have to adapt

Well in that case…

I always thought Subboteo was a middle class thing. The only people I knew that had it were the local Vet’s kids.

1 Like

Rooney

Subbuteo was and is brillant. I had the stand, some terracing, scoreboard, fencing with advertising hoardings, dug outs, the corner takers, even ball boys and police with dogs. The floodlights were the best though, but could only be used sparingly as 8 D batteries were expensive items for a 10 year old in 1982.

I had Argentina, Brazil and Liverpool teams. We had a league in Bunclody which I won after an epic final which went to extra time and penalites. Still have the trophy at home. The rules were a guideline really, you adapted to suit.

Great idea with the lego Rocko, pissed now I never thought of that, cos I had so much Lego (Lancaster Bombers and helicopters were my specialties).

I found the pitch and two teams when I was home last and brought them back to Aus, Fitzy Jnr plays it sometimes with his mates who think its great.

One day, when I have a garage or spare room available for it, I’m going to set up a large table and buy a full stadium off eBay.

Love Subbuteo.

1 Like

Had a set and even inherited several vintage teams and bits of paraphernalia from an uncle but every time we’d set it up, after about 2 minutes we’d realise that it’s actually really crap.
Then you’d kneel on a player, curse and fuck the lot of it back in the box.