Suicide

anyone see that young lad doin away with himself on the internet on friday with everyone watchin,some were even eggin him on,fukin strange

There is a serious bout of it going around. I know November is a suicide black spot but I was talking to a fella yesterday who said that five lads have topped themselves within 10 miles of him in the last six weeks or so…

leitrim used to have the highest suicide rate per population dont no if they still do

suicide takes more lives than road accidents in ireland each year.
Dan Neville (from my own constituency) is about the only campaigner i can think of to consistently raise the issue.

mental health is at the bottom of the governments list, they dont give two shits.

High enough rate of it in Clare…West Clare especially…I knew at least half a dozen young people that have taken their own lives…

whoissuicide.com/

the first step in tackling suicide is to acknowledge its existence.

All suicides should be reported as such - none of this intelligence-insulting ‘died tragically’ rubbish.

Was Midleton not the highest rate in europe per head of population at one time? Think I read that one time. Really sad, makes Berties comment all the more despicable. Wonder will the Sindo care to ask him to make a comment on it considering he is on their front page every weekend?

[quote=“nlgbbbblth”]the first step in tackling suicide is to acknowledge its existence.

All suicides should be reported as such - none of this intelligence-insulting ‘died tragically’ rubbish.[/quote]

Agreed. It should be confronted.

Treaty Exile, Dan is indeed a tireless campaigner on the issue, fair play to him.

[quote=“treaty_exile”]suicide takes more lives than road accidents in ireland each year.
Dan Neville (from my own constituency) is about the only campaigner i can think of to consistently raise the issue.[/quote]

John McCarthy campaigns down here in Cork and nationally a fair bit. He is clinically depressed, but is a very sharp guy, and seems to know what he’s talking about.

It was there about 5 years ago. One family had two brothers who committed suicide. Tragic. You can get a run of them in an area if you are not careful. Not bad at the minute in the Midleton area but you’d never know what could spark it off again. And the chaps who did it came from a range of backgrounds, all across the classes

whats that link that flano posted? Very freaky

There was one here (Midleton) last Thursday and another about 4 weeks ago. Both lads in their teens

It’s a new wrestler starting in TNA.
I imagine you tuned out as soon as I said wrestler.

There was a massive bunch of suicides in Wales last year wasn’t there?

Can’t remember where but they were all teenagers. Apalling stuff.

Bridgend.

Bridgend has recently seen a dramatic increase in the suicide rate amongst young people, with 23 people aged between 15 and 30 committing suicide in little over a year; for both 2005 and 2006 this figure was just three per year.

The first thing that has to be done is the taboo has to be lifted, another thing that the catholic church has done to Ireland but that is another rant to me. I was speaking to a guard recently and he told me that the majority of single occupancy accidents that happen late at night are suicedes but that families don’t want the stigma attached. Personally, I know 1 family that was ripped apart cause 1 of the parents killed themselves (grown up family) and they hid the existance of the suicede letter

My mates mother killed herself a few months ago, 53, shocking. But it was depression, had lived with it for years, but total denial from the person herself. I would certainly believe it was a precieved “embarrassment” from admitting this is why she wouldn’t.

Drink
Drugs
Depression
Cars

Lots of single vehicle weekend accidents with young lads.

Cliche aside lads are much more likely to kill themselves because its viewed as a terrible sign to show any weakness, emotion or sign of strain. No unburdening of problems and lots of gargle aren’t good bedfellows. All the sporting bodies need to get involved in removing the stigma associated with depression. I know the GAA have some small scheme up and running. Both the GAA and FAI are in every parish in Ireland and can actually help young lads to get through bad times by making them aware of the services for help that are available.

WBY

I’d personally back anything at all that would help reduce the rates of suicide. Its possibly the worst way of losing someone close to you as there is no level of closure whatsoever and people are always left with the burning question of “could I have done anything”

My girlfriend lost one of her brother in laws earlier this year to it. Left behind a wife and 2 year old son. Completely out of the blue (as is always the case). Since then, 2 other people who were fairly close to him have attempted the same due to the depression suffered after he killed himself. It’d make you worry that some people actually see this as an easy way out rather than trying to do something about it.

There’s little or no support service publicised for people who might be contemplating something like this. As is well known more young males die by suicide than on the roads every year. The Government and RSA are given huge sums of money for campaigns every year to combat road deaths but whats there for something like suicide? Apologies if I’m re-hashing old information here but its only when it hits you or someone close to you that you realise how bad it is.