Suicide

Thereā€™s lots of truth in that, but thereā€™s immediate cynicism here, I wasnā€™t posting here at the time but itā€™s likely that Bressie was ridiculed here before he made anything out of it, I know that Thompson was, depression is rife now, itā€™s a positive for me that people in the public eye speak about it, give them a chance at least

Bressies first foray into it was with the Cycle Against Suicide in 2013. I remember posting positively about his involvement at the time. Iā€™d even spoke to him at some of the events as I did some of the stages.

However, then it turned into a book, public appearances, school talks for a small fortune, and then he launches a ā€˜charityā€™ that he represents and is a board member of while taking a fee for any talks he does on their behalf.

@TreatyStones was also able to point out the inconsistency in his stories then that they never tallied up. So basically, Bressie has given everyone else who has tried to be genuine a bad name through his money hungry antics. Ashling may be genuine but her brand is all about building a public profile so people are likely to be cynical. Thatā€™s the reality unfortunately.

5 Likes

Its a healthy cynicism. Id much rather hear stories from the likes of carthy, who isnā€™t a celebrity, that come across as genuine. Fair play to some celebrities who have had huge difficulties, you almost recognize it reading their accounts, thats brave, and great to see. But it certainly seems theres a selection of vapid cunts who have decided its a nice bit of publicity to get that out there. Overall talking about it is a positive thing, so they can be tolerated but also called out.the disgrace that is mental health services in ireland is tolerated far too readily though.

2 Likes

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Depression is a reality and no doubt is a killer. However unlike something like cancer, a cynical undertone has developed around it. and the impression at least is given that too many people are now willing to use depression as anew excuse/reason for something going wrong in there lives while in some circumstances at least the actual reality is that shit happens every day and itā€™s how you deal with it that counts. I doubt there isnā€™t a poster on this forum who hasnā€™t felt down at some stage. Itā€™s being able to differentiate between going through a bad patch and there actually being something wrong.

10 Likes

Depression is used in a lot of cases, whether famous or not, to try excuse behaviour and turn the tables on things. Thats when people get cynical too. And whilst you mention that these people may have been ridiculed before making money on it, does it not say something then that they are now more famous and making more money as a result of declaring their depression. You mentioned Thompson and I too would be hugely cynical about her behaviour and her reasons for being public about what she calls anger issues. But this gets played as a depression card. Sometimes people declare they have depression without ever having being diagnosed as a way to try excuse themselves from their behaviour. Iā€™m not saying this happened in her case.

There are many more out there with genuine cases who have not made money off it and try share their experiences for the betterment of others. Some of these other cases however seem to be for their own personal gain.

2 Likes

I think one of the unintended consequences of this new openness about discussing depression is that tons of people, particularly celebrities, seem to consider themselves experts on how to deal with depression. Itā€™s something we are all guilty of, to a degree anyway, but it has resulted in an awful lot of bullshit advice circulating to people who may genuinely need medical help.

It has also, in my opinion, lead to a heap of people who are in bad form self diagnosing as ā€œbeing depressedā€ just because they see it as an answer or excuse to whatever situation they find themselves in.

If the only advice doled out to people who are feeling depressed was ā€œgo see a doctorā€ a lot the bullshit advice and diagnoses could be gotten rid of

1 Like

12 months on, sheā€™s just given birth to her 2nd child, 12 years after her first and after a fucking lifetime of torture in between. How can you not love this time of year. Genuinely magical. This may be the wrong thread but fuck it.

39 Likes

Congrats Uncle Mac. I recall that story last year. Your sister-in-law is a brave woman

2 Likes

Also, that new baby has a top class older brother by the sounds of things

Poor lad is raging apparently as all heā€™s wanted is a brother. The rage will disappear soon enough when his little sister grabs a hold of his finger Iā€™d say.

1 Like

I said to myself I hate when I log in and this thread is bumped but this is great stuff.

5 Likes

Great news @mac. Absolutely delighted to hear that. I remember reading that post, it made me cry. And in the spirit of Christmas, Iā€™ve pulled the personal dig I had written about you.

2 Likes

Ah here.

1 Like

Hard to believe I am posting here myself. Just got news about a second cousin. Leaves behind a family. A long story there but that is one for another day and it will be a tough funeral

6 Likes

I always get sick when I see this thread bumping up.

Rip

Ah Jesus. RIP

Rip

Rip

Rip very sad