Suicide

Mind yourselves tfkersā€¦ Just remember, you have survived all of your darkest days to date. Youā€™ll survive the rest tooā€¦ Just talk to someone.

5 Likes

I remember it well unfortunately. First time a bunch of us had encountered suicide. A lad from Bree had hanged himself around the same time. Paddy Carr I think his name was, @padjo would know. We were 16 or 17 and couldnā€™t comprehend at all what would force a young lad who was loved by the women and brilliant at hurling football and soccer to do something like it. The understanding of depression at the time was pretty much non existent.

Jesus, sorry to hear @iron_mike

I remember years ago, I was driving around West Limerick and going through a relatively dreary part of Glensharrold in the middle of winter. My passenger explained there was a significant number of suicides in a one mile area. I donā€™t know how true it was but it ties in with the cluster argument.

Hope you and your family doing ok @Copper_pipe

Why are people who use their profile to highlight depression vilified so much here?

Like who?

Sorry to hear that buddy. Iā€™ve had 2 extended family members follow a similar process but leave no notes behind. The sad thing is that it seems that only a small few people who are that far gone can be saved. You might delay it, but rarely prevent it.

Mind yourself over Xmas. Having too much time to think can be a dangerous thing so soon after it. Try remember the good in him and how much you enjoyed his company rather than wondering what might have been

3 Likes

As most do it for their own personal financial gain and all their stories never tally up. Bressie charging schools a few grand for a 1 hour talk. The cunt should be strung up.

8 Likes

Because some of them use depression to highlight their profile.

5 Likes

All this. And the fact that it takes from the advice of actual experts in the field. ā€˜Fuck you Mr Clinical Psychologist. Letā€™s hear from a failed singer who sometimes feels bad and coincidentally has a book out.ā€™

1 Like

Well said mac

1 Like

Contrast the sincerity dripping out of this piece by Dublin footballer Shane Carthy to utterings of some of the celebrity mindfulness and depression crew.

6 Likes

Says you, my point exactly

Congratulations, youā€™ve progressed from cretin to full blown moron. Must be a proud day in your house

Itā€™s cynical in what they do? Thereā€™s nothing more cynical than someone trying to profit out of depression, either personally or financially.

I donā€™t know the stats on suicide and itā€™s very subjective to interpret in any case but Iā€™d garner a fairly large proportion just flip in an instance where something happens in their life rather than they suffer from depression.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, a few lads I grew up with took their lives, one had a long battle with depression before it was cool or spoken about, late 90s, my uncle did the same about 15 years ago, again it was depression. I find that the default response here is ridicule, even doubt that it was ever present, I donā€™t think anybody is making it up

Itā€™s a cynical forum, I would be very cynical about some of the champions of depression in the public eye, you just have to look at the big Console scandal recently. There is serious coin to be made in it.

There are probably genuine people and not so genuine ones but that Bressie chap is scum of the earth as far as Iā€™m concerned and its the likes of him that will do more harm than good in the long term.

3 Likes

Iā€™d agree with this. The good folk are not heard due to the noise from the celebrities who only realised they were depressed when they had a chance to build their public profile.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, but I donā€™t doubt that he had a struggle at some stage, itā€™s the automatic cynicism here that gets me, the Cork camogie player was ridiculed before she made a penny, I doubt sheā€™s living off it either.

@backinatracksuit, I think itā€™s a very good thing that depression is now talked about in a mainstream way and that thereā€™s a far better understanding of it. However, the Irish celebrity way of dealing with it has been to glorify the shit out of it. Itā€™s created a bandwagon element to it of sorts. What was very well intended has had every Z list Irish celebrity money hungry cunt jumping on it.

I was made aware of some high profile people who do a huge amount of work with the likes of Pieta House and Aware behind the scenes and never ask for a thing and if anything want their name kept out of the public eye as they feel theyā€™re no different to the people theyā€™re trying to help out.

4 Likes

I dont disagree with what youā€™re saying but Brezzie is dialing it in - heā€™s charging mega bucks to go give a talk about something so serious- heā€™s making a career out of it.