Suicide

That’s not a very nice remark.

Why sure what would a priest know??

You asked for it,
The topic has gone a bit off but you’re intent on putting your uninformed point across, I don’t put myself forward as a parenting guru at all, I just have an opinion which is different from yours, I have personal (and maybe even professional) experience of modern day children so I can’t help putting my opinion forward occasionally.
Your luddite comparisons are miles off the mark,
Why does a primary school child need a smart phone?

Bloody hell.

That case freaked the shite out of me back at the time. Don’t think I ever recall a case in Ireland where an appeal went out for a lad on the run in woods suspected of murders.

Perhaps he might have real world experience of dealing with this sort of thing, along with a keen insight into the mind of a 12 year old.

Personally, I feel know your child is a motto to live by. Lots of lads couldn’t give a flying fuck.

back maybe in 1987 when the border fox was reportedly hiding out in carrigtohill or in a local sinn fein councillers house who later did 18 months in prison in belgium for been arrested with 2 others who were on their way to blow up Diana in Germany there was a farmer up the road who was alledgedly asleep with a shotgun under the pillow in case Dessie was hiding out in his barn at night.
my mother responded by ensuring we had the curtains closed when the lights were on at night, different times, no phones or anything back then in 1987, there was one phonebox in the village up the road, jesus we were afraid of this fella allright, i remember the old blue squad cars up and down the boreen…the story of him cutting off te dentist’s finger and leaving it in a church was unreal scary stuff
the father’d be glued to the radio for updates , didnt stop him heading off up the road for porter also

7 Likes

Am I not entitled to put my point across? And who are you to conclude that it is “uninformed”

1 Like

Jaysus I remember being terrified he would break into the house. If it was 87 then I would only have been 5, but I remember it well. The babysitter told me if I didn’t go to bed the Border Fox would get me and cut my fingers off.

7 Likes

Was he not found out around Newmarket at one stage?

Babysitter.

Well la de da

9 Likes

ah that’s fantastic, you can imagine the fellas in Foynes talking about this as the thick smog fell over the town on a november afternoon, the smoke and greyness of foynes in november is unreal, all the houses burning bags of “slag” , that’s cheap old polish coal ,this stuff swept up from the dregs of the dockyward…that ould horrible bitch then and her shop on the main street , gertie or something was her name,

2 Likes

Great times, 83 was another great year, the guards were going mental around north clare looking for don tidey when he was kidnapped, I remember the local sergeant calling into my grandmothers and asking her was there anyone hiding in the bedroom, jesus it was some laugh, real Kilnaskully shit

2 Likes

some mad goings on in garda stations in rural ireland
down in west cork, that place is wall to wall with lunatics when the Gardai in Schull had yer one in for questioning about Ian Bailey trying to a fabricate statement didnt the sergent go drinking with her and the husband later and expose himself to her in the jax of a hotel…
madmen

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-exposed-himself-to-me-saying-fitting-up-ian-bailey-was-a-real-turnon-marie-farrell-30798769.html

Towards the end of the evening, Ms Farrell went in to inspect the toilets and said that Sgt Walsh walked in and stood behind her, she has told the High Court. She could see him in the mirror, she explained to the court.
“He got me up against the wall and started trying to open my clothes,” she said.

Then he opened his trousers and exposed himself, saying: “What would you like to do with that?”
Ms Farrell could not remember his exact words but said he had added something like : “He found it a real turn on fitting up that long English bollocks.”

2 Likes

This post sums it up for me. In our day you could get a bit of slagging at school but most of us would be home with a supportive family by 5pm and get a decent break from it. These days the peer pressure and social exclusion / bullying can continue on your device for the rest of the night and start again in the morning. Quite simply there is just no break from it if you find yourself in that situation.

Kids can be fierce cunts in general and most of the time don’t recognise or care about the consequences of their actions. This coupled with absent / indifferent / soft touch parenting is a nice recipe for little fuckers saying and doing what they like to whomever they like.

I am in no way anti-technology and feel advances should be embraced but the current generation of youngsters are the Guinea Pigs of the social media revolution

6 Likes

Whats the question?

So does @glasagusban.

Should kids be left have smart phones at a young age
One side says nay- too much too soon
Other side says yay- will prepare them for the technological revolution and no point delaying the inevitable

You have to laugh…two of the worlds biggest tech men, Gates and Jobs, refused to let their kids near phones until they were 16 but a few roasters on TFK know better… I’m not knocking the use of technology at all but giving young kids a phone is just stupid. Whatever about the bullying, talk to teachers about the attention span of kids today.

2 Likes

Gates and Jobs are/were a pair of oddballs.

6 Likes

:joy:

Stop now kid…