Suicide

Jesus wouldn’t agree with that at all, kev. A lot of kids of my friends are spoilt little pricks who need to learn what the word no means.

3 Likes

:eek:

And conversely the kids I know that get denied things and not allowed their way are generally happy little fuckers who don’t throw tantrums every other hour.

:clap:

Ah here. That’s low. Lay off @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy.

Ah that’s lousy Juhy and the harmless cratur hasn’t a pot to piss in.

2 Likes

I think thats a different thing though

cc @farmerinthecity @Fagan_ODowd @caoimhaoin

Welcome to 2 days ago.

Former golfer David Feherty who’s currently working for NBC (I think) - his son died of an overdose on his 29th birthday. Shocking stuff.

Terribly sad story alright. Feherty had his own battles with addiction as well.

So can we now agree that considering there is no drop in suicide that the approach being taken is a load of shite, as professionals have pointed out for years. And these walks in the dark nothing more than a public feel good session that have actually very little impact.

6 Likes

There wasn’t half as much suicide when we didnt talk about it, that’s for sure.

Indeed. Back in the good old days when we didn’t talk about it, there was no suicide. There was no child abuse. There was no corruption. No hunger or poverty.
There were just youths engaged in athletic contests, the laughter of happy maidens and firesides filled with wisdom.

4 Likes

We need to get back there.

1 Like

What professionals pointed it out Kev? Serious question.

The walks in the dark are often a way for those who have lost people to remember them and help with the grieving or moving on process. Might have very little impact on those who are already suicidal but it can be a massive help for those on the other side of the equation.

I’ll take 1956.

This @Fitzy lad looks to be a bit slow.Go easy on him.He lives in Australia.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone walking in the dark thinks they are preventing suicide Kev. They are raising money to help others try though. At least people are able to talk about it now

1 Like

Well the point about that is suicides were not reported as suicides.
I spoke about one recently to a mutual friend of someone who took their own lives and he kinda shusshed me in saying “you know the parents still don’t really know/believe it was suicide?”. I was astonished.

If you want to tackle socital issues you have to look 15-25 years ahead. Forget about the present day people as a priority. I’m not saying abandon them, but its kids now that you need to deal with.

I’m really starting to see parenting as a huge issue. I have youth sessions going now and what i am seeing is startling from some parents. The reasons may be quite genuine with work etc but they are not at the races at all. And the pressure they seem to put on themselves and the kids is off the charts.

The diagnosis and dividing/specializing/molly coddling on this “Autism Spectrum” has got out of hand. People getting assessments, convincing the assesor of the need for a label, getting a shitty program of mundane linear exercises from an OT and giving up on them after 3 weeks.

One parent recently said to me he thinks i helped reverse his kids dyspraxia. Of course i fucking didn’t, he never had it. We just got him strong. Consistent exercise over 9 months. Different boy, confidence is on anotger level. He just joined an athletics club. It had nothing to do with me, i just delivered exercises and games the teachers should be doing.

While not exclusively linked and i realise its multi factorial, the lack of movement for kids is at epidemic levels. Primary school insurance rules, influence of small groups of parents has got out of hand.

And another thing i noticed is parents blaming teachers and teachers blaming parents. So nobody taking responsibility.

We are one orgamism, there is no division between mental and physical health.

Its just health. Its not mental and its not “fitness”, its just health.

11 Likes