Suicide

Nothing has changed though.

And from what i am being told by some, albeit a small group of people i know well and some not so well, its having little to no impact. Some question the likes of money being out into Pieta House and that its just tokenism on alot of levels.

The Spartans handed a boy a knife when he was 11 and sent him forth to the woods for a night, if he survived he was a man.

https://youtu.be/W7oNF7SZSXI

Psychartrists, psychologists and Addiction Councillors. Ok its largely orivately (but not always, i have read psychologists questioning such events) but that is because they don’t want to stoke a negative reaction. The sentiment is there in most cases.

Its possibly that these things are only treating the symptom, not the cause. In fact, thats 99% surely whats going on.

I don’t think the adult people alive should be the major concern to be honest. They have a choice to seek help.

There was a study released last week that girls who played sport thru teenage years felt better about themselves and their appearence.

I can anecdotally totally understand that from dealing with young women a fair bit.

4 Likes

I’d go along with that. Not sure it does any harm, but I’d question whether it does much good.

There are far more qualified people than me who have made argume ts to it doing some harm. Some of these conversations are over a few drinks, however the jist of their theory was (as Mouse suggested) tgere is too much talk about the sad result (suicide) so inversely its making it acceptable and almost “too ok” to be depressed. And also this “willingness to talk/listen” is not properly understood and that often friends who think they are helping are not at all.

There’s no easy answer here, mate. The cause of pain for one person is completely different for the next and so on…We can always improve, but there will always be people who will just want to end their life, and while it’s tragic all round I don’t think it will ever be eradicated from man kind - at least not until we evolve away from capitalism.

1 Like

Ya good bit of truth in that.

However Ireland has a significant problem, worse than many places

Schools can’t give you everything, but in primary school they certainly need to be a bit more holistic and deal with social issues and human psychology a bit more — I know parents need to teach their children the real valuable lessons in life but our society is out of kilter presently - Most parents are lucky to sit down to have a meal with kids with work commitments and then you have the other half who are over-bearing - What they don’t get is the child learns just as much, if not more, from the actions of parents as opposed to words. I’ve a good few friends who are teachers and they shit they tell me about parents … I wouldn’t do the job for all the money in the world. I’ve a friend who was harassed by one parent that basically wanted her to confirm that his daughter was slow - a lovely kid whose confidence wasn’t great (I wonder why) and the father shouting at her teacher because the child wasn’t performing as he expected… The other thing I see a lot of, slightly irrelevant but also to the point - is kids in shops buying packs of biscuits, big cans of monster and all sorts of junk, obesity aside, it sums up modern parenting (and I know it aint easy lads) but handing a kid 5 euro to do untold in the shop is modern society in a nutshell - an easy option all round.

12 Likes

Won’t their appearance be better just by playing sports therefore making them feel better.It’s the same as saying women who go to the gym feel better about themselves cause going to the gym makes them look better.Sport/Exercise should be compulsory for kids up to 16 wether they like it or not.I see away too many fatties at my kids school.No kid should be overweight at 8/9 years of age but when you look at the parents you can usually see why.

1 Like

I cannot agree more and i see all the same shit.

I’m not trying to pirtray myself as anything special here now, but i have refused to work 1-2-1 with a number of kids as 1)i don’t think its a very comfortable environment for a kid who already may have comfidence issues (more pressure) and 2) its because the parents want it more than the kids.

One thing i started encouraging, especially with adult clients who ask about their kids, is exercise in front of them.
Its so bloody powerful its unbelievable when they report back. Like you say, actions count.

2 Likes

Spot on Kev, I’d imagine a lot of them kids that parents are sending to you, would actually be a lot happier if their Dad went out and kicked a ball or did a bit of a jog with them twice week.

6 Likes

Pat kenny was talking about this on radio yday. Said you see loads of kids mirror image shape of parents

Again i agree.

Im an old premesis i rented i shared with a physio. He started taling on kids (he hadn’t a fucking notion what he was doing). But one stood out. This pretty over weight kid, the mother was saying “he is struggling with the hurling skills etc” and is a bit “slower to pick things up”. I was startled at thag, but even more flabberghasted at the fact that the physio brought him thru what was effectively a stage 2 or 3 athlete plyometric circuit.
It was astonishing the delusionment of the oarent and the lack of knowledge or cop on of the physio.

He needed to build better eating habits. Bottom line, nothing else mattered.

1 Like

And there’s parents on this forum who regularly belittle women’s sport,
You’re making some good points here Kev, I wouldn’t agree across the board but interesting nonetheless,

2 Likes

Most sensible thing said on the whole subject. Thats it.

Time. Thats all they fucking need, parents time.

3 Likes

Said this on here before. But my 4 yr old from age 3 has been dping excercise time in creche. She would be doing a version of dips, push ups rolls all the time at home as a result. Her teacher plays camogie and is a brilliant role model

5 Likes

What points do you differ on. I have to admit that outside my own experiences as detailed, alot of thise is professional friends opinions. Which i largely agree with or share. Their science seems to support alot of what i am seeing.

And its great craic showing kids exercises.
I’m bate after the classes.

And i think i have over lengthened my hamstrings from doing too many inchworms!

2 Likes