Super Blues 2017

Limerick to sign the Dennehy brothers from St. Pats.

1 Like

Interesting .

Turner won’t be offered a new contract at Cork, potentially coming back also.

Relegation beckons

Agreed. How do you think Limerick will do tho?

3 Likes

LIMERICK FC have confirmed that captain Shane Duggan has signed a new deal which will see him remain at his hometown club for a fourth season.

Duggan skipped the Blues to the First Division title in 2016 and the midfielder is looking forward to leading the club in their return to the Premier Division of the SSE Airtricity League next season.

Twenty seven-year-old Duggan joined the Shannonsiders in October 2013 and in the campaign just gone played 20 times as he led them to the SSE Airtricity League First Division title in, losing just one game along the way.

Duggan – who contributed six goals to that league success – was rewarded for his performances by picking up the PFAI First Division Player of the Year as Limerick returned to the top flight at the first time of asking.

The Norwood Park native wants to make it another year to remember in 2017.

“Last season I had the option of signing back again so there was never going to be an issue; I’m happy now to get it done,” Duggan said.

“The time has gone around quickly. I can’t believe it will be my fourth year already. When I first signed I was welcomed straight away.

“Being from Limerick it was easy to settle in. We had a great season just gone and I’m delighted to be back up in the Premier Division.

“The only disappointment for us was not winning the EA Sports Cup final, especially at home in the Markets Field, but to win the league in the way we did and to get to the final, we can’t complain really with that. Hopefully, we can go one step further next season and win a Cup.”

Joe Gamble back as S & C coach, guess that means Derek McCarthy is out the door.

Mulhall signs on again too.

Both Gavan Holohan & Danny Morrissey have left Cork since the end of the season. Neither are Dubs, it’s always more difficult to sign Dubs without the amount of clubs in Dublin and the immediate surroundings. Both would improve the team.

It could be asked how do Limerick intend to push for Europe as they’ve been talking about if they only sign players not good enough to start for Cork, but they are both young enough, could improve and might have a point to prove.

Some of the other teams have been very quick off the mark in signing players- Cork have signed a few from Sligo & McCormack, Pats have signed Peers from Sligo, Rovers have signed four, Drogheda have got another Brennan; I’d like to see us get one or two in the door soon.

Finally a bit of movement in the transfer market from Limerick, three new players in.

Ian Turner returns to the club for a 3rd spell after he was only a benchwarmer for Cork last season. Was very good in the run-in two years ago. Has his faults but is a good attacking threat down the right-hand side and did score goals. His attitude towards the defensive side of the game probably leaves him down.

Dave O’Connor signs from Rovers. Don’t know much about him; centre-back, rarely played for the first team. Not very complimentary things said about him from the Rovers fans but hopefully he proves them wrong.

And Brendan Clarke from St. Pat’s. Bit of a strange one, with Hall already signed on, I wouldn’t have thought goalkeeper was a priority and I imagine he’s not cheap. It’s good to get a quality player in and a bit of experience too but I would be hoping that it’s not at the cost of a similar quality player elsewhere.

Whitehead, Garbhan and Williams have all signed on again too.

Good to get some players in; there is talk of the Dennehys. Apparently Rovers aren’t going to keep Dean Clarke but the likes of Bohs & Bray are also interested. I’d definitely take him back. I’d take Faherty back too for sure.

Goalkeepers- Brendan Clarke, Freddy Hall

Defenders- Dave O’Connor, Tony Whitehead, Paudie O’Connor, Shane Tracy, Robbie Williams

Midfielders- Shane Duggan, Paul O’Conor, Lee J Lynch, Ian Turner

Strikers- Chris Mulhall, Garbahn Coughlan

1 Like

Apparently Paudie isn’t actually signed, and has been on a couple of trials at clubs over in England.

Shaun Kelly, Stephen Kenny and Dean Clarke have since signed but not been much movement since.

There were rumours of former Man City, Bournemouth, Dundalk player Donal McDermott. currently of Rochdale. But nothing has come of that yet anyway. Russell was talking of a few players signing from the UK and we’d need that extra bit of quality because there’s only a handful of decent Irish-based players left.

Hughes & Rainsford back training with the team apparently.

Paudie had trials with Leicester and Crystal Palace during the league of Ireland off season. I’ll get on to my source in the first team squad and find out what the exact story is with him now. He’s definitely good enough to forge out a decent career cross channel - once he fills out he’d get in most League One and League Two sides. He’d be a big loss if he does leave but a move to the UK would be great for him.

Starting to get a bit edgy about the new season now. Unless a few quality additions arrive in it’ll be a long season. Three teams out of 12 will go down and as things stand there’s every chance we’ll be one of them.

We’ll concede a shedload of goals like two years ago unless we sign reinforcements at the back. Equally we lack an out and out reliable striker or two. Haven’t heard anything about John O’Flynn?

Had heard that about Paudie alright, to be honest, I’d be surprised if a Premier League side went for him. You’d nearly be better off going to a lower league side and trying to get immediate first team football.

Had also heard that O’Flynn would sign back, and I think he’s a very good striker when fit, but there hasn’t been much word.

Positive murmurs coming from twitter & elsewhere though, apparently Aganovic formerly of Galway has been training with them. And 3 or 4 other new faces at training this week too.

It’s not been a great pre-season so far, but a couple of real quality signings would turn things around and even a bit of depth and you’d be looking at mid-table.

Will the 10 team premier league be a runner next year . I see there is murmuring discontent in a new group of premier clubs . I would like to see Limerick solidify this year but the pressure of 3 teams going down could be a worry. Also it might lead to an arms race that could cause hardship further on.

I don’t see the FAI changing their decision. I reckon it will be three down. I think Limerick will be good enough to stay up in the division with even one more decent quality signing. I think after signing Lynch & Hall in 2015, that team was mid-table quality.

Improvement on that depends on the rest of the recruitment. A striker and a centre-back, maybe even two, are the priorities. An alternative in midfield and maybe another wide player/number 10 to add a little bit more quality in the final third would be nice.

Good to hear that about Paudie, best of luck to him.

Limerick are reported to have gazumped Cork City to sign young Ogbene for the season ahead. He looked a very bright prospect last year - can play on the wing or upfront.

1 Like

John O’Flynn signed up again.

And as Bandage has said, Ogbene has been training with Limerick over the last week. Nothing signed yet, so don’t want to get too excited, but Cork fans have been raving about this fella for years- apparently one of their most promising prospects in a long time. Seemed decent enough whenever I’ve seen him, generally out on the wing, and he’s very young. I wonder would he end up playing up front if he did sign for Limerick. Accomplished gaelic footballer too.

Would be a big signing, Cork wouldn’t want to let him leave, probably would have been a starter this season?

Saw Ogbene last season a couple of times and wasn’t particularly impressed. Mind you he was only getting a sub appearance here and the odd start there so never really got a run of games. In fairness hard for a youngster to get in a side competing for the title.

Rake of Cork cunts in the dressing room now with Whitehead, Turner, Kenny, O’Flynn and perhaps Ogbene.

Ah he’s only a young fella, and only had a handful of starts at the end of the season. Scored a few goals and I thought he had a bit about him.

You wouldn’t want to rest all your hopes on him but I’d be optimistic.

Ogbene confirmed. Cork fans pissed off.

Limerick also posted a few pictures on twitter of training- Paudie, Ross & Rainsford all there, I think.