Super Blues 2017

The main reason for not letting Russell go was the lack of a better alternative. This is still a worry. Sacking someone for the sake of it is pointless really, we need someone who can actually improve the team.

But Iā€™ve never thought Russell offered anything more than Taylor did. Scully was let go after winning the first division, Taylor was let go after not kicking on and there were strong rumours that Russell was gone during the summer. Instead they gave him 6 games.

Heā€™s a nice fella and I wouldnā€™t blame him for the relegation in 2015 and obviously did well enough for us to be promoted so convincingly. But he has consistently made strange tactical decisions which have baffled the fans and have not worked.

Stuff like persisting with Oā€™Donnell despite him being absolutely shit, Holland mightnā€™t be great but he is definitely better than a keeper whose confidence is completely shot.
Playing the bombscare Kanyuka instead of Paudie ended up getting us relegated after we had fought to get into a play-off.
Playing his son at left-back ahead of Shane Tracy in the cup final.
Playing his son at all.
Dropping Jason Hughes when the squad was filled with shite.

And not starting Lee J against Finn Harps and leaving Turner on for 90 minutes against Cork just tipped the fans (and Pat) over the edge.

Playing shit football too.

I donā€™t know who weā€™ll get and I am worried weā€™ll get someone that is no better but Russell wasnā€™t good enough.

Oh and the consistent lack of performances in front of big crowds had to have been a worry. Bar maybe the home play-off against Finn Harps but they never kicked on in that match.

That is something that is a much bigger thing in League of Ireland football than say, the Premiership. Winning is all well and good, everyone likes a winner, but when the big crowds come in, we have to put in a performance and at least try and play decent football. An extra 500 people makes a big difference to a team like Limerick.

Gobsmacked by the timing.

Six games in is brutally harsh and callous. Weā€™ve won two, drawn one and lost three (two of those to Dundalk and Cork). Not a great start but not catastrophic either.

He was on borrowed time, didnā€™t think heā€™d last the season but this is a surprise to get rid so quickly. Heā€™s a nice guy, probably too nice and thatā€™s done for him. He never sorted us out defensively and we were so easy to play against.

Sad to see him go though and I wish him well. Hope the club already have someone lined up and this isnā€™t a knee jerk reaction. We could be smack bang in a relegation dogfight in jig time.

There wouldnā€™t be a club today without Pat but Iā€™d say he is a tough man to work under.

1 Like

Were you in Gerry Oā€™Deaā€™s pre match?

You can shove your English market up your arse :laughing:

TJ for Limerick :dembele:

Whack it long to Tosi.

I was in Jerryā€™s for that. Also, if youā€™re the bloke I thought you were, youā€™re a bit of a short-arse?

5 Likes

Iā€™m only 5ā€™ 10ā€™ā€™, mate. Average rather than short arse iā€™d say but itā€™s horses for courses.

The cheek of @TreatyStones liking that post.

It may have been mistaken identity, pal. I had drink taken.

The next time you see an Emre Can lookalike at a Limerick game come up and say hello.

I was distracted by the unlikely triumvirate of old Jonjo, a former Limerick intercounty footballer and a portly friend of Dorothy serving behind the bar.

I was below in the Square Bar getting accosted by two old codgers as to why there is a need for away fans segregation in association football and thereā€™d be no such seperation required for the rugby football proceedings at Thomond Park the following day.

1 Like

Roddy Collins is getting this job?

Box office manager for a box office job. Sounds like a good fit to me.

Roddy would put the city of Limerick on the sporting map.

1 Like

Scottish national rumoured to be in talks.

All I can say is that itā€™s not Fergie, Dalglish or Owen Coyle.

1 Like

Moyesie?

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, Malky has only been in charge of one team and lost every single match. Maybe heā€™s an impressive coach but that doesnā€™t always translate into a good manager.

1 Like

Moyesey. Big step up for him.

Snap!

1 Like