Super Blues RIP (For at least 2020 anyway)

Home Farm ?

Sporting Fingal

1 Like

Cork hibs.

Home farm eventually became Dublin city. They were home farm Everton and then home farm fingal

Limerick City ( wore yellow )

Salthill Devon

Saint James and saint Francis went in the 90s I think.

Cork Hibs before my time . There was a Cork Celtic too back in the 60s and 70s

George best lined out for cork hibs I think

Saint James were attached to Guinness and played at Iveagh Grounds . St Francis were a Liberties club who reached the 1990 cup final as a non league team . They joined the league for a few years in the late 90s

I’d imagine sky sports and premier league on demand had a huge impact on attendances at league of Ireland matches, but ever before that there was a massive interest in English clubs. When I was coming up, ever before the premier league, all the kids wanted to be a Liverpool or United player.

You reckon young fellas could have wanted to be Paul Osam only for Liverpool and united?

Shamrock Rovers B were in it for a season

Fairly off topic mate there.

Would have known both him and his ex wife fairly well back in the day, although I haven’t seen either in a few years.

The man who invested the money did absolutely mental shit with it though and also alienated a load of fans including a fan club which there can’t be many of :joy: He also fell out with loads of people, for example UL who were very generous to the club and should have been a key partner for them, various investors over the years including the Daly’s who sponsored the team on the basis that Pat would hand over control over the club at the end of the season, but then Pat reneged on that and they ended up asking that their sponsorship be removed from the jerseys :joy:
There’s a lot of good will for soccer in limerick but he burned through a lot of it

I’ve been going to Limerick games on and off since 1989. The No.3 bus used to run from Cravel Park, Moyross, right up to Rathbane. So as a gang of us, aged 10/11-13, used to go up on Sundays when we could successfully negotiate the funds from our parents. There used to be ok crowds too… I remember a couple of Pats fans in the club house one Sunday at half time, arguing whether half-caste or black was the correct term to use in reference to Curtis Fleming. But there seemed to be a general interest in LOI back then.

Fast forward to the mid 00s. 200 people in Jackman Park on Friday nights. Wet, cold, miserable … and that was just the football. Most lads were just there to have a pre game pint and enjoy a bit of banter with their mates - the football got in the way at times.

In that time between both periods the Premier League became king in Ireland … TV, internet, marketing etc. etc were booming out the games/ ads for the Premier League — and of course, the Champions League followed suit.

It’s a very hard situation for the LOI to compete with really - having the EPL right on its doorstep… but when Limerick moved back to the Markets Field and those couple of years they floated between the Prem/1st division, my brother started bringing my 7 year old nephew to home games and he absolutely loved it. Another ex colleague of mine used to bring his 10 year old and it was the same - loved the buzz of it, the chanting and all that…

There’s every possibility for a Limerick FC and like minded clubs to thrive but they need help from the FAI.

@mickee321 is right to bring his son along to games . you simply cant beat that excitment as a kid which will always live with you — but he’s also completely wrong to go and watch Shamrock Rovers…

I wouldnt go watch Cork City in a million years.

So there you go – glad to have cleared all that up for you both.

5 Likes

Fella slagging you off for supporting domestic football. You literally couldn’t make it up. Taking their steer from Mr Delaney on respect towards domestic football

:eyes:

Will limerick be called sevco when they return next season?

Were “city “ called sevco after liquidation ?

1 Like

Limerick Phoenix’s

1 Like