Tailteann Cup - The new Tommy Murphy

Fair play to them. Scenes like that can only help the Tailteann cup take off. Has to be a prize worth winning.

Nowt. It was long overdue competition and most people involved in sport want to test themselves but they want to be competitive. They are realistic about their place in the world. And they want to win. Will the players take more enjoyment from this than the cork players did from a tame QF defeat to Dublin… Of course they will

1 Like

Westmeath are being patronised and patted on the head by Official GAA.

They are John Horan’s version of Boris Johnson’s “flag waving piccaninnies with watermelon smiles”.

Pretend 14 year old Rodney in Only Fools and Horses.

Official GAA has its own Clerkinbots to tone police.

Don’t question the assoseeayshun. The piccaninnies love GAA Boris.

It’s unbelievable the snobbery towards the competition… fair play Westmeath and fair play to them for celebrating the win …the majority of players will go their whole career without winning a cup in Croker

6 Likes

@Cheasty is not content at just being wrong, he wants to be aggressively wrong.

The tailteann is a great idea. If supported it will be a fine competition and a win in it will be a high watermark in many footballers career, that they will remember fondly

11 Likes

A high watermelon?

Watching the 2 games in Croke Park yesterday I couldn’t figure out how the same people who laud the Ulster championship can dismiss the Tailteann Cup. Two competitions that often have close contests, great honesty of effort and that give teams a chance to win some silverware at their own level. But also 2 competitions that don’t contain any side that, except in some freak circumstance, could expect to compete at All-Ireland level.

3 Likes

Sid is only happy if something is EXACTLY the same as his own nostagic memories of sport on TV.
There is no room for evolution or experimental deviation in Sid’s brain.

4 Likes

1 Like

Ah look you were completely wrong no harm admitting it the odd time. The success of the competition hinged completely on whether players and supporters from the counties in it took it seriously. Cavan and westmeath patently did. The homecoming thing only copperfastens the success. Sure you were flat out telling us how the bandwagon big day fans were the most important ones in the gaa and they are exactly the ones who were in Mullingar last night.

5 Likes

Great to see the Westmeath celebrations. Adds to the prestige of the competition

1 Like

The Westmeath lads sharing Insta stories from the mental holiday they are going to have from that 60k will light a fire under every team in the country for next year

It looked like there was a huge proportion of children out celebrating which will inspire future generations* to play the game at least. Westmeath have only ever won 1 Leinster title at senior level so they’re entitled to celebrate with gusto. They did win a minor and an U21 all-Ireland in 95’ and 99’ I think? I was pleasantly surprised by the scenes. Didn’t see the match at all due to club commitments but there seemed to be a great buzz.

*didn’t inspire future success for Wexford and Offaly in the 90’s but there was more of a downturn in fortunes when those children reached adulthood. Actually Clare probably had a similar downturn too in the hurling coinciding with teams who’d have grown up with the 95’ and 97’ success.

Well done Westmeath. Greet scenes there as the county celebrated.

Probably will never happen but the provincials should be done away with. Needs to go the way of club structures - senior, intermediate and junior. Promotion and relegation each year.

Imagine the winner yesterday was going up to face Kerry, Dublin, Galway and co next year. The league is brilliant every year as it’s so competitive with teams of a similar standard.

Leitrim v Mayo, Limerick v Kerry, Wexford v Dublin in the football championship is a waste of time.

2 Likes

After they bring along the wives, the backroom team and the county board latchicos they’ll be lucky to get a weekend in Torremollinos

Unreal scenes in Mullingar… This competition has captured the imagination of the whole nation :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

The whole squad will get a one stay in Killarney in November for the €60k.

1 Like

I hope they sang,

We won the tailteann my friends,
And we’ll keep on fighting to the end,
We won the tailteann
We are the champions
No time for Longford,
Cause we are the champions
Of the 2nd tier

1 Like

I think the winner yesterday is going to the Sam Maguire next year? Has the format for next year been decided on?

It’ll probably blow his mind to hear there’s actually a Junior football final on in Croke Park today.