Tailteann Cup - The new Tommy Murphy

Would laois fans get behind it if they get to the final a la cavan and Westmeath? I’d say Meath and down might think of themselves as too aristocratic

They love their football in Meath.

This weekends clash with Down brings back memories of 1986 and the run to the historic National Football League title from Division 3 (South). My first time in Croke iirc, and being absolutely baffled by all these fellas with strange accents shouting “Up Down”. We thought it was fierce funny. Down were despatched 1-15 to 0-15, before Dublin were sent on their way in a two point win (this was before the GAA allowed Dublin own Croke Park so it was a much more level playing field [apart from the notorious bumps that existed in Croke Park at the time ]). Then it was Monaghan, and the great Nudie Hughes who my aul fella told me to watch out for. Laois despatched them in a classic encounter, 2-6 to 2-5, my absolute hero at the time Liam Irwin scoring 6 points and Willie Brennan and Eamon Whelan getting the goals. Willie got absolutely murdered scoring his one.

Queue incredible celebrations, lads went wrong for a week or two. Kerry arrived to O’Moore Park for the grand opening of the new (old) stand, and we sent them back down the road with their tae in a mug, with Micko telling all and sundry Laois were dark horses for Sam.

Days later, Aughrim happened, and it was all over.

So yes, we never saw a bandwagon we didnt want to get on in Laois.

11 Likes

Dublin played their home league games in Croke Park all through the 70s and 80s. No one seemed to mind.

1 Like

And over half the 1990s.

November 12th, 1995 v Cork was the last regular NFL game there (as opposed to the irregular cash cow games against Armagh in 2003 and Tyrone in 2007 and 2009) until the games there started becoming regular again in 2011. A dismal defeat on a dismal day. The first NFL game in the newly redeveloped Parnell Park was against Cavan on February 11th, 1996. Joe McNally was playing and I think scored a goal and Jason Sherlock came off the bench with a Robbie Fowler style blond dye job to score an immediate point as Dublin turned a deficit into a victory.

1 Like

I did.

No one seemed to mind what Dublin did until
They started winning.

BIG day in the Tunnock’s Tea Cakes Cup today with the semi-finals being broadcast live on RTE.

You’d imagine they’ll totally smash Galway v Mayo in the ratings.

Played club games there as well. County finals were always played in Croke Park at least until the 80s.

1 Like

Are the Tic Tac Cup semi-finals on telly & Galway-Mayo on the muldoon go app?

I think mayo on rte 1 even though the info button doesn’t reflect it

Gaelic dominates the airwaves today

Galway v Mayo is live on RTE 1.

An autumn club championship style panel has been rolled out for the live coverage of the MAIN EVENT of the day, the Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cup semi-finals.

The cameras have been moved to the Cusack Stand and I don’t recognise this commentator. These are the hallmarks of a BIG GAME.

Here we fucking go!!!

What’s the logic behind swapping the camera side? It’s annoying the hell out of me here

To try and make it look like there’s a big crowd?

They didn’t do it for the Joe McDonagh final though, did they?

This fucking camera angle :weary:

Antrim coping with the backwards camera much better so far.