Tailteann Cup - The new Tommy Murphy

I wouldn’t think there are many illegals on the NY team at this stage are there? They have a few home grown lads and I’d say most of the Irish over have a green card. First 3 rounds are on consecutive weeks, seems sensible not to expect NY to be able to commit to travelling across 3 weeks in a row. Won’t stop lads throwing toys out of the pram though for a bit of attention.

1 Like

No I wouldn’t think so it’s more, as you said, it’s not really possible to get home from New York two weeks in a row for most lads.

They should pay for their opponents to go out there really, be a nice incentive for teams in it.

1 Like

Having them come over to Ireland at all to compete makes a farce of it.

If they’re that hung up on the idea of having New York compete they’d be as well off to go for the grand farce and use the same system as was used for the NFL in 1988 and 1989, where the winners played New York in New York in the “real” final.

That would be ridiculous too but at least there would be a sort of logic to it in that a massive piss up in New York would serve as a prize for the winners - and if they got so pissed that they lost to New York, nobody would care anyway and there would be no farce of New York having to pull out after winning a match.

1 Like

When is the big draw?

I think I tomorrow on morning ireland
Daz Frehill will run it

Typo there. I’m sure you meant “ruin it”

7 Likes

Offaly & Wexford drawn first in the exciting new championship. A mouth watering clash.

Fuck sake

2 Likes

Fucking Westmeath, ah lads :smiley:

Southern preliminary round
Wexford v Offaly
Wicklow v Waterford

Southern round 1
Wex/Off v Wkw/Wfd
Carlow v Tipperary
Laois v Westmeath
(New York bye into round 2)

Northern round 1
Longford v Fermanagh
Leitrim v Antrim
Sligo v London
Cavan v Down

Some mouth watering clashes there.

Great local rivalry coming up between Leitrim and Antrim.

1 Like

The draw for the southern section requires some high level of IQ to understand.

Typical GAA really - preliminary rounds, byes and ridiculous levels of complexity.

GAA President at his patronising best.

Semi finals and finals in Croke Park and on TV!!

Antrim at home is a decent draw

1 Like

The Tommy Murphy was better than this.

A damning indictment

The regionalisation, and the fact that there’s a fair chance you already played the team in the league brings an element of boredom to the early rounds. Give it a chance though lads. It is the correct way to go

Cavan will be hard bet

Getting excited about this is akin to Eoghan Murphy saying young people should be dxcited about having the opportunity to live in a tiny studio flat after they leave college.