Talk to joe 2016

What do you mean poor wintering?

Plenty booze & grub, little training & injuries will occur.

Nothing to do with ligament injuries

Big help alright.

Seriously what do you mean? Ligaments are not muscle, they stay the same strength until injured irrespective of training.

What causes them to go again…

They are weak to twisting motions

And what would not help the muscles supporting them???

What muscle surrounds the knee?

Did i say knee? Basic leg strength would help against over extending twists surely. Lack of proper fitness can’t be good at prevention.

We know it can happen to supremely fit athletes too, in saying all that.

Muscular imbalances are the only thing to affect the ligaments from what you are talking about.

1 Like

Aylward would have being training to a very high standard from early last year. Surely a sudden ease up in that added to ‘’ wintering ‘’ and then a bad turn on soft ground could all be seen as a reasonable cause?

The ground increased the chances of it happening yes but it had nothing to do with his conditioning.
Ligaments are what they are, they have a breaking point and one bad step or twist will tear them.
The ligaments in a humans knees are not made for twisting and sudden changes in directions, the ACL of a lion for example has multiple layers that can absorb pressure from multiple angles whereas ours can’t. It is just not fit for purpose.

1 Like

Spoofology alert…

7 Likes

@caoimhaoin can you shed some light please?

So an inter-county player shouldn’t launch into salsa lessons in January after easing off training in November and December? Sure didn’t Shane O’Donnell tear his hamstring doing a Strictly Come Dancing fundraiser a couple of winters ago too.

I’m fucked if i know, pal.

You moron.

Weather Aylward was looking after himself or not in this case is not the issue in this disagreement, but of course poor wintering (well its actually wintering well) can lead to ACL.

• loss of neuromuscular efficiency (awareness, proproception etc)
  • added weight thus the forces are greater when landing etc
  • booze really fucks with strength, see above

On top of that Alyward seems to be a fast twitch guy with poor conditioning, always a bigger chance of ACL.

Science has shown that ground conditions are generally not an issue with most injuries. We adapt to the ground if we are well prepared and out awareness is high.

3 Likes

Utter rubbish

What a load of horeshit Kev.
Ligament damage is done through improper technique and nothing else. They don’t touch a muscle. Finding a solid footing in a wet pitch is notorious for doing in acls. Any sudden twisting action could do it.

Show me any proven scientific study which corroborates what you say.