Teachers

Why are the other 99% members of said union so?

3 Likes

On a related issue, exams scheduled in various third level institutes have been moved online or rescheduled to June.

Indications are that teaching will be pushed back to start a week later in some of these places (e.g. Dundalk), and run for a week longer at the other side.

Just imagine the backlash from teachers if you told them they’d have to work 1 week into their summer holidays if they went back a week later now!

The colleges run a little differently. Teaching finishes in May but summer holidays don’t kick in then anyway

Whatever way it pushes a higher workload on summer.

Teachers are all for public health safety but only as long as they don’t have to makeup those hours again.

It is customary really for public servants to be in a union. Friends who are in the public service often stay for benefits e.g. income continence but also so that there will have access to representation should they find themselves in difficulties such as where a disciplinary or bullying type claim is brought against them.

I think you have to be a member of the teaching unions to get paid?

Seriously? I didn’t know that.

That’s definitely not the case at third level.

You don’t have to be a member of a teaching union to be paid but you must be registered with the Teaching Council.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case

Surely that’s unconstitutional? If you have a right to be a member of a union then you have a right not to be too…

I’m not a member of a union,
I’ll take my chances re representation etc

But I do get paid

5 Likes

I was definitely told this by a few different teachers, they were certainly under that impression

As a matter of interest, would you know roughly the percentage of your colleagues that are in the union?

Absolutely not, you have to pay your dues to the teaching council alright.

I may well be the only one, when our rep came to me after I failed to renew my membership she seemed to imply that anyway.
I spent my entire adult life giving out about unions, a fabulous idea in theory and in certain situations but rarely in support of the public good

Just my opinion

1 Like

Fair play to you. Look it you’ll still benefit from the collective bargaining and save money on subs too. I didnt know you had to pay a sub to the teaching council, I thought it was a group within the DEP to ensure teaching standards and credentials of teachers were up to standard?

I would have heard people say Teaching Council is a form of protectionism …apparently it’s very hard get into a teaching job as a foreigner unless you meet certain criteria and then there’s the hassle of transcribing your qualifications to teaching councils requirements …you could be french with a qualification in teaching but because you never did french as a subject in college you aren’t qualified to teach it here whereas if somebody here did french as part of arts qualification then they are seen as more qualified …

The Teaching Council is a regulatory body. Most professions have them.

Yep they are…Would the above example be true re french person with a Masters in teaching struggling to get a job teaching French whereas an Irish person doing french as a subject as part of Arts course has much better chance ?

The teachers union is like the boy who cried wolf at this stage.

1 Like