Terrible websites

$150. It’s good value at face value, other than the fact it’s completely hit and miss, generally miss when it’s a game you care about. Their Tech Support is a hoot, just a standard prepackaged response to all complaints.

One of the main problems with the RTE Player and not just on the live section is the ads.

The private sector always fucks things up.

The publicly-funded BBC, with no ads, is the gold standard.

Small wonder the Tories want to destroy it.

Is there anything that’s bad the Tories are not responsible for?

For that you get a fair smattering of league games, the club finals, all championship games carried by RTE and Sky (not UK package) and the Sunday Game.

1 Like

Not to mention their new documentary section, joe canning in shooting the breeze with eugene mcentee, quality tv. I think gaago is great value

In Britain, they’re responsible for most shit things. Not really surprising when they’ve been in government for 42 of the last 66 years and done a terrible job each time.

Is there anything bad the public sector isn’t responsible for, in your view?

You intervened to start the argument, remember.

Do you not find the streaming very hit and miss? I suppose it’s only a few dozen Irish Canucks logging in, it can get very ropey here at times.

No i find it generally fine, depending on wifi quality more than anything else

Depends on how the public sector and the individual department is run. Like anything, if there is no accountability, it tends to be inefficient at best and appalling at worst. A lot of the state run public service in the US is excellent. Most of what’s run from Washington is dreadful.

If public sector and governmental organisations are run with a private sector ethos, they’ll be shit.

Exhibit A: Grenfell Tower.

“Bonfire of regulations”.

2 Likes

Sky Go is shit as well. The ads are a disgrace.

You pay Sky upwards of 80 quid a month for sports and movies and they still insist on putting ads on. The player is also shit.

Netflix & Amazon Prime might not have near the quality but neither are such a pain in the hole.

I imagine more online services might move over to YouTube’s platform in the future.

1 Like

It’s fucking chronic. I went to watch a film on it the other night but had to wait 4 mins for 5 ads to play. Fuck that.

No they wouldn’t, and there are countless examples to refute that point, such as privately run hospitals in Ireland (or the US) are far superior to publicly run, etc. I’m not saying all private is good or all public is bad, but you are far more likely to find no accountability in public service.

Grenfell tower was built and manged by the public service, whoever managed the upgrade of the building to turn it into a fire hazard should be held accountable.

2 Likes

It’s a disgrace frankly. I’m delighted that their business model is falling apart.

Grenfell Tower went up in flames because of a culture of neglect of poor people and lack of regulation which has always been Tory party policy.

It’s a monument to the total bankruptcy of that ideology.

When I use the phrase “bonfire of regulations”, I use it deliberately, because that’s the exact thing Tories have been cheerleading for decades, in their words.

Now they have it, literally, and they should never, ever be allowed to forget what they let happen.

Do you get all games ( that are televised) on GAAgo

Do you think there is a “light touch regulation” that instructed someone to choose a material to clad a building that is not recommended by the manufacturer for buildings above 3 stories, when there was a flame retardant material available from the same manufacturer for a small pittance more?

I’m not defending the Tories, they are a shower of cunts, but Labor would not do any better, and well you know it. There are roughly 600 buildings like Grenfell scattered around the UK, many of them in Labour controlled districts. Bloated, corrupt, unaccountable and incompetent government is the problem, not individual party.

1 Like

Yes, except for TG4.

1 Like

Speculation based on your pre-held prejudices. Non-fact based.

quote=“Sidney, post:115, topic:20362”]
It’s a monument to the total bankruptcy of that ideology.
[/quote]

Over emotive, ideological driven assertion. Non- fact based.

Drivel.

You’ve sort of answered your own question there.

Lack of regulation compels people to do what they want and to hell with the consequences.

Flame-resistant cladding would have cost £2 more per sheet, £5k more for the entire building.

If you’ve been following the news you’ll know that Rydon, the same contractor who did the Grenfell job, conned Camden Council about what cladding they were using to fit out tower blocks in that borough, using flammable cladding when they’d been ask to fit non-flammable cladding.

That’s the naked profit motive in action and that can only happen because of lack of regulation and lack of enforcement of regulations.