Terrorism Thread. The terror of another nembo kev thread

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1074574, member: 80”]the phoenix broke a story about a COI rector that worked in the IT who was in the RA .They were brought up for criminal libel,If the phoenix lost a journalist would have been jailed.They were then brought up in front of the NUJ ethics committee too, Paddy Smyth spoke for the IT. In another case Paddy Smyth the IT foreign correspondent took a high court writ against them when they exposed his membership of some militant labour group.
This week Paddy Smyth wrote an IT column about having no restrictions on free speech[/QUOTE]
I think hypocrite covers a lot these wankers.

No wonder the likes of balbec and Rocko are bawling their eyes out about Charlie and acting all horrified when we call it how we see it.

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1074574, member: 80”]the phoenix broke a story about a COI rector that worked in the IT who was in the RA .They were brought up for criminal libel,If the phoenix lost a journalist would have been jailed.They were then brought up in front of the NUJ ethics committee too, Paddy Smyth spoke for the IT. In another case Paddy Smyth the IT foreign correspondent took a high court writ against them when they exposed his membership of some militant labour group.
This week Paddy Smyth wrote an IT column about having no restrictions on free speech[/QUOTE]
Yes but wasn’t the CoI rector dead and there was no way of defending his good name. In fact it was accepted at the time that the Phoenix had printed a scandalous rumour about a dead man with no back up or sources knowing that they had a free run, because the poor man was dead. It had a terrible impact on the mans wife and family.

printing an article praising a man for being a freedom fighter was too much for the IT but slagging and mocking a religion and the culture of the people at lowest rung of french society is beyond the pale for the IT,it stinks

Does it make it any less true?

You mustn’t have read the article in the Phoenix at the time. It wasn’t praising him for being a freedom fighter. It was a nasty little piece.

I don’t know kevin, does it? Do you know anything about the case at all other than the two lines TSG posted above? If so enlighten us!

i cant see how it couldnt have been anything other than a beautiful piece in remembrance of a great man

maybe art could go down to the law archives and dust off a few court report and clarify why the IT backed criminal libel failed?

Very very little. However I do know Ireland.

I know you can’t, because you haven’t a fucking clue what you’re on about. You are relying on a pretty sordid piece by Paddy Prendiville who has nursed a grudge for 25 years for being called out for one of the most disgraceful pieces of journalism In moden Irish history.

It failed because the High Court judge reluctantly accepted the old adage that you can’t libel the dead. Did Paddy not make that clear in his self serving piece?

Fuck off you miserable streak of piss.

Good article in Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-it-means-to-stand-with-charlie-hebdo/2015/01/08/ab416214-96e8-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

Indeed, if the French want to memorialize those killed at Charlie Hebdo, they could start by rescinding their laws criminalizing speech that insults, defames or incites hatred, discrimination or violence on the basis of religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, sex or sexual orientation. These laws have been used to harass the satirical newspaper and threaten its staff for years. Speech has been conditioned on being used “responsibly” in France, suggesting that it is more of a privilege than a right for those who hold controversial views.

:smiley:
In 2013, a French mother was sentenced for “glorifying a crime” after she allowed her son, named Jihad, to go to school wearing a shirt that said “I am a bomb.”

The issue here, is that free speech seems to be ok if it relates to homophobia & racism but if it relates to exposing the Irish establishment for the hypocrites that they are its a no no.
As for the most disgraceful piece of journalism as you put it was brought up in front of the ethics committee of the NUJ and t was accepted the phoenix acted ethically, so maybe you need to review the opinion that you had for 25 years that it was a disgraceful article

I think Fagan believes ethics is a county jut outside London

Married with a nipper of her own now. I’ll catch her when she gets divorced in her 40s. I saw a photo of her on a beach in Venezuela last week. She’s not lost it.

Fire it up

Kent