Terrorism Thread. The terror of another nembo kev thread

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1074800, member: 168”]
On the cartoonists- Did they not make fun of other religions also over the years? Catholicism has been ripped apart for years now and i don’t see anyone, bar that mad priest from Kerry, carrying out crazy acts in its name. No matter how offended you are, you never, ever have the right to kill someone.[/QUOTE]
You’re right on the last line.

But here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter that Charlie hebdo might appear to have offended all religions equally, the fact is they didn’t (see one journalist fired for being anti-Semitic and that they ran an entire issue on Islam). But beyond that, Catholics aren’t offended by representations of Christ in the same way that some/many Muslims are by reps of Muhammad -so this is not offending equally, it’s conpletely different. This is not just them being overly sensitive but a core part of their beliefs for many Muslims. It’s completely facetious to argue they were offending equally, they knew they were not. Apples and oranges. Second, it’s the rich and powerful majority insulting the isolated weaker and poorer minority. Again, not on equal terms.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1074828, member: 1533”]You’re right on the last line.

But here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter that Charlie hebdo might appear to have offended all religions equally, the fact is they didn’t (see one journalist fired for being anti-Semitic and that they ran an entire issue on Islam). But beyond that, Catholics aren’t offended by representations of Christ in the same way that some/many Muslims are by reps of Muhammad -so this is not offending equally, it’s conpletely different. This is not just them being overly sensitive but a core part of their beliefs for many Muslims. It’s completely facetious to argue they were offending equally, they knew they were not. Apples and oranges. Second, it’s the rich and powerful majority insulting the isolated weaker and poorer minority. Again, not on equal terms.[/QUOTE]

So, you now have to check whether someone is offended by a fat joke before making a fat joke? That defies the whole fucking point… But even so, it doesn’t give them the right to kill. They don’t like it, protest outside Hebdo’s office everyday until they get the message- like civilized, rational people do.

Your first line is stupid. Your second two sentences repeat what you and I both said in the two posts above. Overall it’s probably one of your better contributions.

France is a secular country- If Muslims want to abide there they have to respect France’s culture.The magazine mugged off other religions- no one was killed. You’ve tried to make some ridiculous argument about Muslims being more extreme in their beliefs so they shouldn’t be poked fun at to the same level of other religions. You mug. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Everyone is equal in the eyes of humour/satire. Everyone has the right to be offended also. But that doesn’t mean you tip toe around one over the other.

Europe really needs to start closing its doors to people with such extreme beliefs. We will see what they think of our culture then when they are being stoned to death in some back street.

Hostages taken in Paris post office

Are you a vampire?

Yes! It’s back on, baby!

It seems this is just an average common criminal who got caught holding up a post office.

out
out
out never

:([QUOTE=“Sandymount Red, post: 1074864, member: 1074”]It seems this is just an average common criminal who got caught holding up a post office.[/QUOTE]
No terror alert?

Not a good time to rob a post office!

[QUOTE=“Horsebox, post: 1074867, member: 1537”]:frowning:
No terror alert?[/QUOTE]

Do you not class taking people hostage at a Post Office terrorism?

I thought terror was only to do with freedom? Not freedom as in being free to leave a Post Office but freedom in the traditional (post 9/11) sense.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1074828, member: 1533”]You’re right on the last line.

But here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter that Charlie hebdo might appear to have offended all religions equally, the fact is they didn’t (see one journalist fired for being anti-Semitic and that they ran an entire issue on Islam). But beyond that, Catholics aren’t offended by representations of Christ in the same way that some/many Muslims are by reps of Muhammad -so this is not offending equally, it’s conpletely different. This is not just them being overly sensitive but a core part of their beliefs for many Muslims. It’s completely facetious to argue they were offending equally, they knew they were not. Apples and oranges. Second, it’s the rich and powerful majority insulting the isolated weaker and poorer minority. Again, not on equal terms.[/QUOTE]
Islam is a belief system and any belief system has to be be fair game. It’s considerably different from picking on people merely because they happen to be black, poor, disabled or gay.

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1074840, member: 168”]France is a secular country- If Muslims want to abide there they have to respect France’s culture.The magazine mugged off other religions- no one was killed. You’ve tried to make some ridiculous argument about Muslims being more extreme in their beliefs so they shouldn’t be poked fun at to the same level of other religions. You mug. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Everyone is equal in the eyes of humour/satire. Everyone has the right to be offended also. But that doesn’t mean you tip toe around one over the other.

Europe really needs to start closing its doors to people with such extreme beliefs. We will see what they think of our culture then when they are being stoned to death in some back street.[/QUOTE]
:rolleyes:

I didn’t say it wasn’t fair game, and that’s a good point. My point was that it’s treatment was not “equal”, on a number of levels.

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1074800, member: 168”]Fair enough and i’d agree with most of it. There has to be some form of responsibility/accountability for what you say, tho you can’t say much these days without offending someone and their precious beliefs… The bolded bit is important for multi-cultural countries like France/UK - they are ticking time bombs in many respects and governments must be shitting themselves with far right movements on the rise. Free speech is great when we are all generally singing from the same sheet but multi-culturism actually destroys any chance of it- people have to keep their opinions to themselves or be labelled all sorts. Even in the Nordic countries, the most liberal on the planet, there’s all kinds of racial tension festering away.To live in a community/society you have to give up certain freedoms, the more diverse that community the more freedoms you give up.

But youre right in that free speech has nearly always belongs to the powerful- All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

On the cartoonists- Did they not make fun of other religions also over the years? Catholicism has been ripped apart for years now and i don’t see anyone, bar that mad priest from Kerry, carrying out crazy acts in its name. No matter how offended you are, you never, ever have the right to kill someone. I think that’s the first ‘freedom’ you give up when you decide to live in a community.[/QUOTE]

a person got sacked for an anti jew cartoon and they dont slag Jews

I didn’t say it wasn’t fair game, and that’s a good point. My point was that it’s treatment was not “equal”, on a number of levels.[/QUOTE]

Yes- it was completely equal you ding bat.

Surrendered to police. Believed to be unrelated.

Why does it matter whether the hostages were related?

[SIZE=3][QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1074886, member: 1533”]Why does it matter whether the hostages were related?[/QUOTE][/SIZE]

I never mentioned hostages and related in the same post. If you are going to make a lame joke at least get it right.