TFK Bogball 2000-2019 Half Back Line

James Mccarthy - moynihan- mcgeeney

No McCaffrey?

I could pick two lines of half backs to be honest… Moynihan and mcgeeney have to be in it for me, great footballers and great leaders. absolute standard setters and driving forces in their teams … Last place was either mccaffrey or James Mccarthy and while mccafrey has been electric, for me Mccarthy has been Dublins best player over last 10 years…

I think Marc O’Se is enormously over-rated, the family name helping to boost his status to a fair degree.

His two brothers were much better footballers IMO. Marc was no doubt a very good player but disagree totally with him being in contention for teams of the decade, teams of the last 25 years etc.

At times he possibly wasn’t even the best corner back in Kerry.

Half back line has crippling competition. You could make a worthwhile case for the inclusion of any of a dozen players.

2 Likes

Agree on the standard.

I left out Tomas O’Se - bloody hell. I tried as much to stick them to their actual positions to make it easier.

Ryan McHugh could feasibly have made it as well.

I’d actually have found Thomas o se down the pecking order to be honest.likes of Gormley was a difficult one to leave out

O Se Moynihan McCaffrey

1 Like

Just on McCaffrey, I think he is one of the greats. He can turn a match by himself - devastating. When Tyrone went up by a few points early in the final in 2018, he was the guy who turned it with his runs and pace. He’s just immense in my opinion but it’s all about opinions.

1 Like

I once shared a hurling pitch against him shortly before he went off to Africa. He beat me in a 30 metre sprint for a ball despite me having a the bones of 10 metre moving head start. A few of my team mates still like to remind me of it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have Conor Gormley in the top 20 half backs. A big slow dirty cunt who was only good for bursting lads.

2 Likes

Jordan was a brilliant footballer but there is incredible competition across this line, 7 of the 20 Footballer of the Year winners this century are in the list. What Jordan done in the final in 2003 would go against him too for many I’d imagine.

Was it him that done block on McDonnell in 2003? Good defender and good on the ball too… Great anchor for a centre back. .Nice bit of dirt too… If kerry or mayo had him in their recent teams they would have both bet the dubs.

Alan Brogan must be shit so as he did a podcast on Eir this week saying Gormely was the one marker he had who he really struggled against.

Enormously overrated is a wee bit of an exaggeration. Mildly and slightly would be more accurate. He was smart, fast and skilful and it got him out of plenty of trouble and allowed him leave forwards who didn’t track in his wake back when tracking wasn’t a thing. He could do as he liked then because he was comfortable on the ball.

But he wasn’t a sticky defender by any matter of means and he got cleaned a bit when he came on the scene first, and was going backwards towards the end too. But all players get that, he was more noticed because of who he was.

Tomas was excellent going forward but very loose as a marker. His men tended to do a lot of damage in big games. Ryan Mellon had a couple of great finals for Tyrone when Tomas O’Se was on him. McConville destroyed him in 2002.

Gormley was an outstanding defender. Deceptively quick, a brilliant tackler, strong as an ox and the go to man marker for Tyrone buy we was always excellent on the ball.

He was probably the best club footballer in Tyrone over the past 15 years.

I would have said that about tomas… Thought Marc was top class… Kerry fans gave tomas awful stick for years.

Gormley was really underestimated on the ball, rarely took wrong option

1 Like

I’d have had Tomas ahead of him and Darragh at the top. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Gormley was my favourite player on that Tyrone team. He could certainly play. Lined out at midfield for Carrickmore and did so too for Tyrone too on occasion. Just such a well rounded footballer. Even when his legs went late on for Tyrone, he was still one of their top players. I think Cavanagh was the only 2003 player who played longer than Gormley.

I think Gormley was immense, but I voted for him in the full-back line to free up options here.

Despite acting the cunt in the 2010 Munster Final, I voted for TOS. Although maybe I’ll change that to McCaffrey. Lacey, McHugh, McCarthy unlucky aswell. I loved Declan Meehan aswell; and Karl O’Connell is probably one of my favourite players of recent times.