TFK Bogball 2000-2019 Half Back Line

Dublin shifted Ciaran Whelan onto him quite a bit to get at his defensive weak link.

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

The remaining three categories will be over the next three days?

Yes.

Next three days with the midfield up tomorrow, it will come down to 4 fighting for 2 spots there I presume.

O’Se out scored Mellon over the course of those two finals…

Maybe he did but Mellon who would have been one of the lesser heralded players on that Tyrone side was able to inflict a lot of damage. Tomas was great going forward but his defensive qualities were lacking a bit.

Jordan was the outstanding wingback of that generation.

No arguing, Jordan was a great player, some talent in your halfbacks selection, awful hard to narrow it down to just three.

2 you mean after Kelly

I think James McCarthy is the best player of the last 20 years.

A thoroughbred.

1 Like

Far more competitive heat in every line than spud hockey.

McCarthy is a great player but he’s very much a consistent 8/10 every day rather than being up there with the very best IMO

Tomas was roasted in his first big match, Marc may have been too

Tomas Se, James McCarthy, Jack McCaffrey

Keegan was the most difficult to leave out

A fine player, what year did he get the all star?

1. Made his debut around 99. Retired from all football in 11 with a neck injury. Came back 3 years ago and won a junior with Joes. Gave it a year senior after and left it at that.
2 Likes

Same as.

Surprised at the lack of votes for Philip Jordan - one of the best and most underrated footballers of the last 20 years. Himself and Gormley were both the glue at the back and the link to the front that held Tyrone together.

I’ve gone for a half-back line of James McCarthy - Jack McCaffrey - Philip Jordan whilst accommodating Gormley in the last line of defence.

A trio that had everything.

Physicality, a lovely bit of cynicism, defensive nous, leadership, athleticism, good distributors and auxiliary attackers who could chip in with scores when needed.

1 Like

What did Gormley ever score in championship? That would be a flaw in my book for a modern half-back

He played an awful lot of football in the fullback line too.

Had a decent return in the scoring stakes.

Gormley basically went where trouble needed to be taken care of, he was Harte’s no.1 enforcer.

I’d agree. That he wont be on this is a real shame. Fair enough McCaffrey may end up being better long term, but for what McCarthy has done, as one of few ever presents on this Dublin run, is fantastic. He was wing back on the first four of the Dublin sides winning the All Ireland in this run, midfield for the latter 3. 2 players (not from Wexford), both probably will be in the half forward voting section to come, said to me they rate him as the best player they have ever faced. Their careers would have spanned between them from the early/mid 00s up to about 2 years back.

2 Likes