TFK Bogball Team 2000 - 2019 Full Back Line

Marc, Fay and Higgins

O’Shea showed up McGee in 2015, he made him look like a little boy for the goal he got. McGuinness and Gallagher knew how limited he was too, they made sure there was plenty of spare men around him to help. He can’t be compared at all to proper fullbacks like Fay and Moynihan.

2 Likes

McKeevers only All-Star was in 2000, nominated for a hurling one the same year. A proper hard sort rather than the cheapshot shapers that pass as hardmen now, brilliant footballer too.

great player as was Tony Scullion in the other corner

Did Scullion have hurling pedigree as well?

I know the Downeys and Brian McGilligan were hurlers too

You d see the Downeys in Kennedys Drumcondra on All Ireland hurling final day

1 Like

Yeah Scullion hurled as well, a Ballinascreen man and there would be some hurling there, the school won a camogie All-Ireland about 10 weeks ago. Derry to be fair to them try to keep both going, Brendan Rodgers has probably the award wrapped up for hurling goal of the year 2020.

Moynihan , o’se, higgins

Great selection @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

Went with Mallon, McGee & Marc O’Se

Donegal were collectively shit in 2015.

McGee would eat a big stumbling fuck like Fay for breakfast. Fay was an old school full back who could fetch a ball but was little more than a braying ass.

McGee putting a gimp mask and leash on Bernard Borgan in the 2014 All Ireland semi final and walking him around the pitch was one of the best man marking jobs I’ve seen. He was man of the match then in the final. A class act.

You have highlighted the difference there straight away, Fay would never blame his teammates for being made a boy of by someone like O’Shea. Donaghy scored 1-2 as well against him in the 2014 final, I don’t think any of Fay’s direct opponents ever scored a goal in his whole championship career.

Donaghy got a goal when the goalkeeper kicked it to him.

McGee didn’t blame anyone. Donegal were just collectively shite that year as they were in 2013.

Fay was a great man for catching a ball but was extremely limited, could you imagine Fay dealing with the likes of Conor McManus? Not a hope.

Fay marked plenty of lads as good as McManus and kept them all quiet. He done a grand job on Canavan in 96, Canavans only 2 points were when he went away from full forward to try and get his hands on some ball.

You do know what John McDermott did to Canavan in the early stages of that game? Canavan scored a great point and McDermott treated his ankle like a bouncing castle. He could barely move for the rest of the game and struggled badly with that ankle for the remainder of his career.

Faye was protected by a load of butchers in front of him. He was what you’d term an agricultural defender, good man if you’re landing aimless Hail Marys in there but would be destroyed in a forward was getting proper supply.

Mcmeinamen osea philly

A no nonsense fullback line… You would earn your score… Mind you I would imagine at least one would be sent off at some stage

my trio as well

Gormley - Fay - Lacey

Fay was outstanding in mid to late 90s but dropped off badly after that… Moynihan was better out the field and don’t think was a great fullback. I’d have mcmenamin and lacey in the corners as both were exceptional one on one markers and I cant leave out Marc o se so he’ll go full back…
Mcmenamin - Marc o se - lacey

He was playing against Clare in 92

McMenamin/Gormley/O’Sé

Ricey Fay Higgins for me

Mark O’Riordan - Diarmuid Sheedy - Tommy Stack