TFK Capitalist Thread

I use them/it myself, happy to recommend it too

1 Like

Does that make ye all Capitalist Pigs?

Oink Oink Kaching

Wow €1 = $1. No doubt Nordstream feeding into this amongst a host of other things.

And the ECB raising rates then.

Was chatting to a fella who joined one of the bigger social media gaints in a recruitment role a few months ago. Hiring freeze introduced since so no work for him… waiting for a tap on the shoulder.

Lots of silicon Valley start ups starting to shed staff too…

Where are we headed?

Saw a clatter of people who worked for an Irish tech "unicorn " hawking for new jobs on LinkedIn recently as they’d been let go.

All the tech companies are vastly over valued. Its hard to see how they don’t go bang at least a little

2 Likes

The salarys they are paying in the US are off the charts.

I know a programer and he has changed job I’d say 4 times in the last two years, each time for more money.

2 Likes

There are fellas (good grafters in fairness) about 3 - 4 years out of college pulling 90k in Galway City.

With euro dollar parity its still alot cheaper then their US equivalents.

I mentioned this on another thread but you’ve two types of IT workers in longevity sense.

The ones who’ve been there 10+ years who are sitting on a gaudy redundancy pot of gold.

Alternatively you have the lad who isn’t there that long and should absolutely be hopscotching around company to company to increase their salary and title.

I’m in the former category. After 17 years I’m not leaving until I’m paid to leave.

2 Likes

Well not anymore, most of their valuations have taken a big hit.

The stronger ones who have a product people use like Salesforce will just feel the general economic cycle at this point.

1 Like

There’s a lot of tech companies solving problems that don’t really exist.

Or are calling themselves a tech company but are really just a traditional type company with an app

1 Like

That’s some magic trick!

The WeWork trick. VCs and PE have been more alive to it for a while tbf. There was a big chop in valuations around Covid but printing got things going again.

Tbh I think a lot of it is just uncertainty like before Covid. Inflation will top out this year as a lot of supply chains have been unlocked and household savings are depleting at a rapid rate. High energy prices are here to stay but I think we’ll muddle through. 15% cut in gas really isn’t that big a deal, we could all cut back a lot and a lot of it will be dressed up around climate change. Get subventions to those who need it this year and cut general public transport costs further.

What the Chinese get up to, God only knows.

Microsoft letting all on probation periods for Azzure go I’m told

Would have thought Azure was a booming area for them?