TFK Capitalist Thread

It’s a good time to buy if you have a few quid in the right areas I’d say.

Inflation will fall steeply and possibly quicker than expected- I think we are really somewhere in between the “transitory” statement of the Fed last year and the bearish tones of the last few weeks.

Ryanair just reported record profits. Vacations went well into late September this year in the west as people made up for lost Covid time. The silly price increases there will have to moderate quickly as that was a one off.

China are making moves to reopen, though there has to be a political landing spot for them to do so.

Companies are frankly going to take back control from employees after the Great Resignation and the markets will ultimately love that.

Might not be great for Ireland though as we are always seemingly out kilter with ECB policy.

1 Like

Yes but while there wasn’t a “pile” of work there was still some.There was absolutely no work for brickies or plasterers.Sparkies/Plumbers can always branch out into maintenance jobs in factories etc wet trades can’t.

1 Like

One for the management bollox speak cc @Bandage

You think the biden white house will allow china to go back to business?

These lads have their EMEA HQ in Dublin

The Fed will be happy with this. This has been ongoing in tech for a few months with hiring freezes and aggressive PIPs but big ticket announcements is going to take the final heat out of the labour market.

The Great Resignation didnt last long

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

S&P Futures “surging” as inflation looks to be falling.

2 Likes

Is it over?

If it is a lot of companies will be raging they didn’t clear the decks of the deadwood under the cover of a recession.

“Looks to be falling” until you look at the data. Inflation rose 0.4% from September, so after a lull in the summer it’s starting to climb again. The market is excited about the +7.7% yoy versus the consensus estimate of +7.9%, but on a yoy basis we are entering the months that were surging last year (last year’s October number was +6.2% up from 5.4% in Septembet). The rate of increase has slowed but we are now 15% above October 2020.

2 Likes

I think the market has priced the worst into everything at this point.

There’s lots of really good software businesses that are good opportunities for a savvy buyer.

I would appreciate a heads up as to when I should invest my pension in shares/funds again having put it into cash 6 months ago

Tell us how much you have.

…so a one year comparison to a period with the most acute pandemic supply chain shortages and the continued reopening of society.

What age are you?

1. 10 years of contributions in a tiny fee AON pension with an option for self management

My point was inflation is still rising, albeit at a slower rate than earlier this year. Energy, food and rent still increasing which is what most people worry about.

And pints!

2 Likes