TFK Casualties of the Corona Virus

They were showing Celtic games around that time too. Great memories.

This thread apparantly

1 Like

Was it Hill that Schumacher ran off the track in the final race?

95 or 96 I believe

94 he did that and won the title. Repeated the trick in 97 with Villeneuve but wasn’t as successful.

That’s what it was all about back then , win at any cost ,ramming a couple of million worth of a car into another rival at 100kmp was what it took sometimes .

Senna opting to drive straight on at the first turn in Suzuka in 1990 without even attempting to take the corner being another case in point. That one was particularly ruthless as it’s a pretty fast corner, but there was an element of settling the score after Prost had won the title after another coming together between them the year before.

I was delighted Schumacher failed in 1997. Had a long history of racing aggressively but whinging whenever anyone returned the favour. The fact that Villeneuve was able to keep going and win the title on the track made it sweeter.

3 Likes

Peter Collins took obscene joy in Schumacher botching that attempted take out of Villeneuve in '97.

I watched the last seven or eight laps of the 1989 Japanese Grand Prix on YouTube a few weeks back. What a fucking race. That McLaren car was the coolest looking F1 car of all time too.

I’ve been thinking lately that watching a few races from the past would be a good way to “put away” a few hours during this crisis. Quite a lot of full races from yesteryear up on YouTube. 1986 would be a good year to go for as you had a three way battle up to the final race and it was all before my time as well.

1 Like

You can put away the last three or four laps of the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix over an Ovaltine right now.

Senna & Mansell going round the track almost as one entity, almost choreographed. Unraleable racing.

The last lap was actually almost boring as Senna had clearly completely broken Mansell’s spirit by then. He knew he wasn’t getting past.

That side by side bit on the straight between the two of them in Spain 1991 was great.

I got up in the middle of the night to watch the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix.

Contemporary F1 barely passes my thoughts.

I think 2009 or so was the last year I paid it any real attention. Once that KERS Go-fast-to-overtake button came in, that was it, I was done. I know Hamilton & Vettel have won a lot of shit over the last decade, that’s about the extent of my knowledge any more.

This is very funny.

1 Like

1999 for me. When it left BBC after 1996 my interest started to wane. Suzuka and Hockenheim were my two favourite tracks but then they butchered Hockenheim.

Watching the first five or six laps of the West German/German Grand Prix before getting the bus to Croke Park for a Dublin-Meath Leinster final was a wonderful little tradition, as they say.

Imola was a great track actually but its name was mud after what happened that weekend, a bit like Heysel and Hillsborough, the name Imola only ever meant one thing afterwards.

I’d still try and catch 15 minutes or so of the Japanese Grand Prix out of nostalgia if I remember it’s on.

1 Like

Hockenheim was a great track, the one track where David Kennedy’s much-hated chicanes threw up a bit of craic, as the cars were all setup for the 200mph blasts through the forest and had to tip-toe thru these zig-zags. Spa was the daddy of them all though, in the era I watched anyways, you could bank on it raining and throwing up unpredictable results. You tended to have the German, Belgian and Italian GPs all quite close together in August - September and they usually tended to throw up good races.

1 Like

Spa was/is a complete rain trap. Hockenheim '89 was a classic Senna-Prost battle. The new track is characterless. I associate the 1995 race with what seemed a great time period in general. Kennedy and Collins were a decent commentary pairing actually, not as good as Walker and Hunt, who could be, but comfortably better than what was on ITV after Walker left. John Watson is really good to listen to. I made a mental note to listen to a long form interview he did on Off The Ball last summer, I finally got around to it at Christmas. I’d like to have a pint with him. Watched Crashed and Byrned at Christmas there as well. Magnificent stuff. I’d like to have a pint with Tommy Byrne too. I wouldn’t like to have a pint with anybody involved in F1 over the last 20 years I’d say.

1 Like

Rubens Barrichello was a good lad.

Lads would ye not take down the scalextrix sets during the lock down and live out the F1 fantasy

2 Likes

Or just play it on the xbox. It is free via gamepass