TFK Casualties of the Corona Virus

Would you drink much coffee mate? Don’t touch the stuff myself. I’d say there’s some profit made on those take away coffees

1 Like

the large fill fits in the medium sized cup, fills it to just under the brim.

1 Like

Going large is just extra hot water mate,

Frank and honest go water first, just let the water go down the drain and get yourself the second shot of coffee

But it’s gammy in any case

2 Likes

Nah. 2 cups a day tops. But I had my first fix at around 5.30 and when I finished in Portarlington I just fancied 1

Ah that’s not bad. Was chatting to brother in law the other day. He was on six a day and went cold turkey during lockdown :astonished:

1 Like

Large cappuccinos are often just more milk too.

Any fella going for bigger than a medium is kidding himself

2 Likes

Ye are like lads buying wine based entirely on the alcohol content :slightly_frowning_face:

There are some lovely wines in the 12-13 % bracket. If you are limiting yourself to wine that is 14% plus you’ll never go near an Austrian, German, Romanian red or a Beaujolais or a Fleurie and you’ll be the poorer for missing out on the experience

My point exactly mate.

Don’t think I’ve ever bought wine on this basis. I wouldn’t even look at percentage

1 Like

What wine do you like to drink yourself @flattythehurdler

I have not done that since I went to France on a ferry on a school trip at 16 and decided regular Smirnoff was not going to cut it and I needed The blue label Smirnoff at 50 per cent.

In hindsight the regular bottle of Smirnoff would have been plenty strong.

There’s not a huge amount of value about.
I like Faustino 1, and have done for years, but decanter giving it wine of the year near doubled the price overnight. The Wine Society exhibition Rioja is good value at about £16 a bottle.
There are more drinkable whites about than reds, and if you stick enough ice in any white, it’s drinkable, but I’d prefer a good red to a good white by and large, though also, by and large, a red needs food, and a white doesn’t.
I buy a fair bit en primeur now but I forget what I’ve bought and when and for how much or when it should be drunk, and I haven’t a clue what I’m buying. The Wine Society is worth joining just for the en primeur section of the forum. I haven’t a clue, as in not an iota what all the wines they talk about are, but I’ll buy of their recommendations. There’s just too much information out there. As a rule of thumb, if you polish off a bottle of wine, and would open another, it’s a good wine.
I’ve recently bought a case of polish red which came highly recommended, and is burgundy like, and meerlust (sa) and barolo en primeur and some burgundy, but I can’t remember what.
I have about six cases of muga laid down, but tbh, I prefer the exhibition rioja.
Rioja is my favourite that I can afford.
The greatest and nicest wines for me are the clarets and burgundy greats but obviously no normal sane person would spend that kind of utterly mental money. I’ve had an odd glass of such, when I’ve been lucky enough to be there when one was opened. Nothing compares.
A great Sauternes is hard bet also.
I’d add that I always look to buy red which is 13.5% as an absolute maximum, but it’s getting harder to find.
I’ll add one final edit. I decided life is too short for drinking something bad for you that isn’t nice. I now rarely buy a bottle for less than £15 , (and rarely more than £40). I usually buy in the £15 to £20 range (at home, not in a restaurant)
Lads think that’s dear but it’s only three pints of some poxy lager in a grubby pub in Dublin or London.
I think if it’s nice, it’s good value.
I will also pour such a wine down the sink if it’s not nice.
I’ll usually open something else, and leave the first one in the fridge overnight and try it the next evening. Sometimes it has improved. If not, I’ll pour the whole bottle away.
Like drinking a horrible pint, it’s just not worth it. Ask for another.

6 Likes

What happens when u go off coffee? I drink a good blast of it but it doesn’t effect my sleep or anything like that.

You probably have the gene whereby caffeine doesn’t stimulate you the same as other people. I could drink gallons of it to no effect.

1 Like

Think he got a few headaches etc but did fine

I’ve drank about two cups in my entire life so I’ve no personal experience of going off it

The lads in AA are just misunderstood wine connoisseurs

Doesn’t hold for Aldi vodka mate.

Dancing with the “Stars”.