TFK Fun Runners Thread 2024

You could still run Dublin. It would be a good contingency plan should anything go wrong with plan A.

1 Like

Yep, could still do it but weā€™ve a wedding the day before Dublin so itā€™s not really practical. A good bit of time before having to make any firm decision on giving up the Dublin place though.

2 Likes

Good running in Adare on Sunday, @Rintintin. :clap:t2:

Anybody plotting races?

Iā€™m running the ā€œPaddyā€™s Day Half Marathonā€ locally as mentioned earlier on this thread. So Iā€™m in the middle of a little 4-week training block post Trim 10 Mile to get ready for the longer distance.

The plan after that is to race over shorter distances - 5km, 5 mile & 10km - for 2/3 months so training will be more based on speed than endurance. Again, itā€™s all relative! Iā€™ve signed up for the Coolock Running Club 5km at the end of April & Iā€™ll probably run the Terenure 5 Mile a couple of weeks later. Iā€™ll pick out another race or two after that providing Iā€™m keeping the injuries at bay.

That would then lead me into a marathon training block commencing in June.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been really struggling to get into any rythmn with the training but Iā€™ve my name in for Limerick so going to try to work towards that.

I canā€™t see me getting back to where I was pre-Limerick last year in an 8 week window but Iā€™ll get as prepped as I can for it but maybe a target for something later in the summer. I always liked the idea of doing the Dingle half marathon on Slea Head. So I might try to get an entry for that in September.

2 Likes

What distance are you doing in Limerick? Half?

I was delighted to see on Strava you were running with Rintintin today.

2 Likes

Ya Iā€™ve my name in for the half. Itā€™s actually savage pressure because they do a sort of company challenge thing as part of the event and the extra points for me doing the half has gotten us over the line in our category the past two years. So if I donā€™t run it Iā€™m not only letting you, rintintin, and my family down Iā€™m also letting down my entire global corporate family.

8 Likes

Would you not just run the marathon with that sort of kudos on the line :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sound pal . Iā€™m nowhere near 100% but made good improvements in the last 2-3 weeks. Was at the better end of the times Iā€™d given myself as a goal time. And I was fairly steady throughout with more in me.

Plan for the near future is
10k locally enough Paddyā€™s day(possibly)
10 mile mallow march 24th
5 mile in Killarney 29th march
10 mile locally in April
Half in Limk start of May
Half in Killarney start of june
Charleville half in September
Dublin in October

Will try and fit in another few 5k-10ks in around them especially through July/Aug

4 Likes

Anyone doing the Dunboyne 10k on March 24th? It doubles up as the National 10k championships which means itā€™ll (should) be very well organised and have a massive crowd. Lovely flat course too by the looks of things so one to target for a PB.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping to run but only getting back into training the last couple of weeks. I ran it last year and itā€™s a very fair course.

2 Likes

Have never run Dunboyne but meant to be a great event with a fast course. I wonā€™t do it this year because of the half the week before but thereā€™s a Dunshaughlin 10km on a Saturday night in June thatā€™s meant to be along the same lines so I might enter that.

Fair play too @Rintintin, youā€™ve your schedule nicely planned out well in advance.

1 Like

Iā€™ve bought what are my long distance running shoe this week and have trialed them for a couple of runs. Hoka Bonzi 8ā€™s - the fuckin size of them!!! Mrs. Locke had a great chuckle at me when I came bounding down the hall last evening before my run. Comfy out though, should help with the long runs.

3 Likes

Finally succumbed to the carbon plate fad. Wore a pair of Vaporflys for the first time today in a local 5 miler. Theyā€™re more comfortable than they look. I seemed to be able to sustain a higher speed for a bit longer. First race of the year and ran well. I like to think itā€™s not just the new shoes.

3 Likes

This sounds good. Might do it, Iā€™ve been a disaster lately.

Great running, pal.

1 Like

The new kicks have been ordered (are they still kicks if used predominantly for running?)

I am getting back in the game baby.

5 Likes

Thinking of booking a massage, the old legs have no spring in them at all these days
What type of massage, would you go for deep tissue?

You want a proper Sports massage. Someone to get in and work out all the knots and tightness. I know a great lady in BlackRock/ Ballintemple ā€¦

You should really just stop running as itā€™s extremely bad for you. But source a proper Sports massage

Itā€™s called getting old

4 Likes

Fellow fun runners, could anyone recommend a pair of 7ā€ white running shorts? I canā€™t find any plain white running shorts & I donā€™t want to buy a pair of 5ā€ Oā€™Neillā€™s.