TFK Fun Runners Thread 2024

7" Oā€™Neillā€™s

@Bandage was that a race this morning? Great running.

1 Like

Great running @Bandage. Nice finish line pic with your Bhoys :shamrock:

1 Like

Thanks lads. Yes @TreatyStones, that was a local half run by Up & Out Fitness group based in Harmonstown area. Started early due to no road closures & with a limited field (possibly around 200/250 but havenā€™t seen results yet) & there was also a 10km & 5km going off a bit afterwards.

My race calculator based on Trim 10 Mile at the start of February was suggesting a 4:36/km pace & 97:xx finishing time, which would have been a PB. But I felt quite sluggish from the off, even though the first half was downhill into St Anneā€™s Park & onto the coast, & I was never at that pace. I had my usual thoughts of stepping to the side & giving up at a few stages but settled into it a bit more as I went along. Iā€™ve been injury free for ages now & pretty much training hard since November, taking in Raheny 5, Trim 10 & then today. I probably need an easy week or two, just to let the legs recover a little.

It wasnā€™t as windy as usual on the coast but I was pretty much running on my own, which is harder & a bit time trialesque. I was in between groups for most of the race. I went through 10km in 47 minutes &, with the last 3 miles a steady uphill from the coast through the park & back to the start/finish area, my new goal became to finish inside 100 minutes.

Iā€™ve had half marathons where I ended up walking for parts of the last 2/3 miles so I was happy enough with how I stuck at it in that last section. I passed out a few folk & did the last 2km relatively quickly. My watch said 21.05km as I went through the finish line so I was one of those Strava weirdos who grabbed a medal off the volunteers standing 10 yards behind the line & kept jogging on until my Strava said 21.10km! I havenā€™t received an official time yet but I was probably around 99:40.

Iā€™m conscious nobody asked for a race report but youā€™ve got one anyway.

I did indeed have my support crew at the finishing area, @caulifloweredneanderthal - a great bunch of lads.

24 Likes

Fair play :clap:

1 Like

Well done. Iā€™ll be more careful with my questions in future.

1 Like

Excellent :clap::clap:
Confident guy :+1:

1 Like

Are you running Sunday @Mac ? I see your name in the entries.

1 Like

Top stalking! Yep Iā€™ll be running it. Ambition for a PB might be out the window as Iā€™m laid low with a sinus infection but will go around anyway. Weā€™ve enough for a menā€™s and womenā€™s team so curious to see where we end up. You going yourself?

2 Likes

Think Iā€™ll do it but in same boat as yourself. Was just getting back into it after an injury and got floored by a chest infection. Itā€™ll be good training if nothing else. Itā€™s a great course and definitely a good one for a PB so hopefully youā€™re back on track by the weekend. Think our club should have very strong team from looking at the entries.

2 Likes

Did I see 1500 or something entered? Huge numbers anyway. Should be enough that I can find a similar paced group to break the wind for me and tuck in behind them :grimacing:

1 Like

I just got an email saying they hope Iā€™m looking forward to the race on Monday 18th :man_shrugging:t3::roll_eyes:

Yeah, I think close to 1500. Itā€™s a very flat route. No hills of note at all. Not sure what pace Iā€™ll be running at yet. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be capable of holding marathon pace for 10k but might give it a go.

1 Like

Just checked and got the same email.

1 Like

Well done @mac. Double fist pump as you crossed the line so assume youā€™re happy with that.

2 Likes

Well done lads.

Would you recommend the event? Even as a standalone Dunboyne 10km if it wasnā€™t the National Championships too?

Top notch stalking from you! Was delighted after the week Iā€™d had. Went out to do sub 43 and then realised sub 42 was possible half way around. Could have gone sub 41:30 if Iā€™d pushed harder but just didnā€™t have it in me. Still 2 mins quicker than Iā€™ve done 10k before so really happy.

You gave me the fright of my life when you gave me the shout! Wasnā€™t expecting to be ahead of you :joy: had I passed you somewhere or were you taking it easy after the chest infection?

5 Likes

Lovely course. Would definitely recommend. Start was a bit narrow for the numbers they had but finishing on the track is lovely. Seems that you need to go to Meath and Kildare for the proper fast stuff

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff, didnā€™t realise you shattered the PB.

Super shoes