TFK Hurling Team of the last 20 years - Full back

He has two years of playing full back at a high level. He is very good but it is the same logic which kept the likes of Philly Maher off this vote and many others off other polls.

1 Like

You’re talking about common sense and impartiality?

You were comparing Ollie Baker to Michael Fennelly a few weeks back! :smile:

2 Likes

97 to 99 Baker dominated games physically in a similar manner to Fennelly. He was as good as anything in the country at that time. Feel free to discredit my opinion by referencing some of Baker’s poorer performances in those three year spell or games where someone got the better of him in that time.

Happy to wait for your answer

3 Likes

How many years has Ronan Maher played centre back?

Fennelly was probably one of the best players of his era, even if he was perhaps slightly overshadowed by some of the other stellar names in that Kilkenny team.

You’re comparing him, a player of his longevity, to a player who apparently bossed games during a specific three year period - when some would argue that Baker wasn’t even the best player in that Clare midfield for a lot of that time. Colin Lynch was every bit as influential, if not more so.

Tell us again with another rambling spiel how Gearoid Hegarty wouldn’t make it at intercounty level as “he doesn’t have the hurling.”

2 Likes

Go back and read my exact post. I wasn’t saying Baker was as good as Fennelley was in his pomp. I specifically mentioned those three years where he was excellent and physically dominant in a similar manner to Fennelly when Fennelly was dominating which is a more than fair comparison. Some might argue that Lynch was better and more consistent over his career overall, very few in Clare would argue that Lynch was better or more important to the team from 97 to 99 than Baker.

You’d have to think Richie was thrown in for a bit of a rise? A fella whose best days were when he had someone else to mind his man

1 Like

He had a song. That deserved a nod.

Where do songs and roars rate on the historical effect scale?

Way, way up there.

I voted for JJ Delaney as it’s the correct answer

4 Likes

JJ better at 7 daithi better at 3 is correct

2 Likes

No flies on this lad.

Yerra he’ll get it for this decade after he has another few Celtic crosses.

Iron Mike sorted Baker out in ‘96. He didn’t do too much dominating that day.

8 Likes

He was playing very it til that dirty stroke which Houlihan was very lucky to get away with. Limerick came back into it after that.

So he wasn’t able for it?

Wasn’t able for being blind sided with a dirty stroke?

Fuck off. On the ball.

Even Ciaran Carey said it was no where near the ball

1 Like