TFK Hurling Team of the last 20 years - Wing Backs

JJ was played at full-back to fill a huge hole and was the best man they had for the job. In my opinion he’d be the best player in any position from 2-7 (excluding 6) but his optimum position is 7 and should be picked there

8 Likes

JJ and Cody say his best position was at 7, but shur what would they know :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Of course that’s true,
But if you were to pick a team of this era then it would be stronger with JJ at 3, because Daithi Burke isn’t nearly the player that a couple of the lads who’ll miss out here were

1 Like

That’s a fair point, but are you not going to pick JJ at 7 knowing that Burke has been picked at FB

Agreed but he was a better 7, GOAT in fact.

that is the way I would select as well

but now that JJ not in at 3 , Maher loses out in the hb line

Going to be fair craic in the forwards as someone is going to have to lose out there between Shefflin, Canning and Callinan between 11 and 14. TJ will also be a live contender for 11 but will be a wing forward option too.

2 Likes

Oh you wouldn’t :scream:

JJ and Tommy by the proverbial country mile.

4 Likes

Shefflin played wing-forward a huge amount?

Canning and Callinan are centre and full options. Neither ever really played wing or corner. Shefflin will be an option at wing and corner potentially if he doesn’t get 11 but centre forward was his spot and in my opinion he should be nailed on for 11 as he has been the best hurler of the last 20 years.

1 Like

And that’s without the Kilkenny bloc vote.

JJ a superb defender but only scored one point during his championship career.

Unacceptable for a wing back.

1 Like

JJ and Tommy hands down, no contest.

That was most likely because Cody would have had him shot if he ventured past his own '65.

Forwards will have a lot of big calls to be made. Callinan v Canning possibly. Two of Eoin Kelly, Eddie Brennan, Mullane, Pat Horgan, Lar Corbett for the corners.

Plenty of live wing forward options too.

Tommy surely scored a few from wing-back?

Would jj be able for todays game with an animal like hego running at him , he was great in the era of when the ball was been langered over into the corner flag ,

He did OK when the Cork team of 03/04/05 were running at him. I think he is one of those players who would survive in any era.

Tin hat on but I think Tommy Walsh was a better player than Delaney.

1 Like