TFK Hurling Team of the last 20 years - Wing Backs

Seconded.

Tommy Walsh was the greatest.

2 Likes

How much extra could they have reached with todays training and fitness and science, an extra 10%?

Better all round player, yes. Better out and out defender though, no, I would say JJ better defender

2 Likes

It’s irrelevant. JJ is a great, as is Tommy, and they’d be greats in any era. Possibly the greatest 2 wing backs of all time.

The top two are the obvious vote but some smashing players on the list. Gardiner and Sean Óg were top dogs for a few years. P Maher has been a model of consistency and also barely ever misses a game or is rested.

Tommy had a dynamism and panache to his style of hurling which really made him stand out. All perpetual motion catching a high ball and driving forward with it and clearing it on the front foot. JJ was more measured, more economical hurler. Neither I would class as particularly excellent stickmen like Brian Whelehan who is probably in the discussion with the two of them for the best wing back of modern terms but that would be trying to find fault in them. Both were excellent but very different. Both will be spoke about for many generations to come.

Brendan Maher is probably the most skilful player on the list but his versatility and relative lack of game time at wing back counts against him

Did Walsh win an All-Star in every line of the field?

Corner back, wing back, midfield, half forward and corner forward? (Not sure if he got one corner forward but think he started in the forwards when he came through first).

For a slightly built man he was incredible in the air. Regularly catching puck outs clean against markers who were six or seven inches taller.

Him, Brian Whelehan and Joe Canning probably the best three I’ve seen in the flesh.

Lordy and I’d agree with you on most spud hockey matters, JJ was perfection in his application of all the technical requirements. Above Syd and yes agreed above Tommy where blatant enthusiasm and endeavor often favoured him.

1 Like

I’d pick JJ as the pick of the three of them. His reading of the game and defensive instincts were unreal. But he was an unfussy and economical hurler with ball in hand. Whelehan was a beautiful striker of a ball, a couple of levels above the two in that regard but hurling isn’t all about stick work either.

Agreed its not but I’m a purist so it weighs heavily with me.
What Whelehan had that was absolutely outstanding in my opinion and aided his range of striking was unbelievable footwork, it allowed him to front foot strike in situations where others would have been bottled up and hurried.

And he had an excellent first touch to go with the footwork or quite possibly aided by his footwork. Never looked under pressure when coming into or striking a ball.

He was neat all right hurling wise but you could be on top of him in possession and in a flicker he’d be 4/5 yards away , it was an incredible attribute.

1 Like

Are hurling skills been replaced by athletes, bigger stronger faster men , it’s up for debate

John Troy…sadly a lost breed.

1 Like

I’d have Tommy Walsh as the most naturally gifted hurler I’ve ever seen play, just as I’d have Damien Fitz as the most naturally gifted goalkeeper I’ve ever seen play.

1 Like

Agreed, it was like the ball followed him around the pitch. I watched the Galway Kilkenny 2005 game recently and he was outstanding midfield in that too

Wrong thread

P mannion +1

1 Like

He was also an absolute tramp on the pitch. Another massive plus in his favour