TFK Summer Run Series: July Flat Out Five Race

Hi all

A thread set up to log the next event in the virtual fun run series.

Here’s the rules. You run a 5km as hard as you can manage the first weekend of July (anytime from Friday July 3rd morning to Sunday July 5th night). If you can’t get it done over the weekend, you can do one in the week leading up to it.

Anybody that waits until the weekend itself (i.e. starting on the Friday) can do more than one effort if they so wish.

Like the last time, screenshots of fitness watches or apps required. Please submit these in kilometers, and please don’t try and work it out by how many steps you were ahead of your hungover buddy who couldn’t keep up with you (cc @flattythehurdler). Please tag me as you put your times up so I’ll be able to collate them.

We will go again at the end of the summer at this distance to see who has made gains.

No entry fee although I’m suggesting that we could perhaps use this particular event as an opportunity to throw a token donation towards the upkeep of the site (fiver or tenner maybe) - this ok @rocko?

The August run will probably have a charitable element and the hill challenge and final 5km won’t have any entry fees.

10 Likes

Everyone has a charity or two that has particular significance for them and their family. Might it be worth considering letting people run in august and make donation to charity of their choice. Thus after run, post time and name of charity that they are donating to. No need to post amount donated. Might help raise awareness of different charities aswell.

7 Likes

Am happy with that myself.

but we can do more as a group for one charity … name your one there pal, i think we’d all be happy to run with it.

I understand that but times are quite tough financially for a lot of people. Loads of people are doing great work raising money for different charities. It is very difficult to say no when friends or e friends ask that you make a donation to different charities, each of which is worthy in their own right.

Personally, I have/would rather make a donation to the one or two charities that are close to my heart.

True, but its a decent idea from @fenwaypark. Let people put up who they are donating to and why, and if others have no particular inkling for their own charity to give to, then they can just give to someones elses nomination.

1 Like

That’s fair enough… but We can also just set it at something small and lads don’t have to go all Billy big bollix. 10euro a man. But lads are free to donate anywhere, no peer pressure…

If we are doing a group donate I’d like to put forward Cliona’s foundation and will volunteer to do the donkey work. It’s a Limerick based charity that helps sick children nationwide.

cc @caulifloweredneanderthal

4 Likes

I’d prefer not to get any TFK money for this. It creates a sense of obligation sometimes and I’d rather anyone making a personal donation sent that money to charity.

Appreciate the offer but at the moment I’m confident there are more deserving causes than TFK (assuming @carryharry solves my car issues).

4 Likes

We will not be defeated.

Good call, i agree with the one donation idea, fellas can give as much to charity as they like but if all you can afford is a fiver or a tenner it must be depressing to see lads donating hundreds, it’s like the bible story of the poor widows offering.
Same amount for everybody, we won’t collect as much but as i said you are free to give to charity anytime.

I hate 5k flat out, this will be torture.

2 Likes

All men are equal during a TFK run… Happy for anyone to put forward a charity and people can donate to whoever they want.

I say we cap it at 20 euro a man.

I’m happy to look after the donations to Cliona’s …

5k flat is made for @Bandage.

Yep. I’ve never raced a 5km in my life. This won’t go well for me

1 Like

Just to confirm lads, no donations etc required for the 5km. We’ll leave that to the bank holiday weekend in August for the longer runs, but only if lads can afford it. Donate to whatever charity you’d like as per the suggestion of @fenwaypark

I don’t have a preference, I already do monthly donations to the charities of my choice so what’s your choice and I’ll donate to that.

I’d be the same as Fran.
@RaymondCrotty charity is where my extra will go.
Whatever about Ireland, there is little true poverty like there is in Cambodia, and a couple of grand can pay for a teacher for a year.
Plus there’s a FOTF there.
I’m dreading both the 5k and the half marathon.

2 Likes

You’ve had no luck at all since you got that electric car.

Hey lads ,

A reminder that the 5km is this weekend. Some lads like @Gman have already logged their times, others are injury doubts (myself, @Thomas_Brady, @backinatracksuit) and others are back hurling Junior B.

Be good to get a good turn out again. As above, put up your time with evidence, and cc myself. I’ll get the times collated some time next week

Cc
@fenwaypark @Locke @Wexford1996 @fran @mac @Copper_pipe @Ralphie @RaymondCrotty @flattythehurdler @the_man_himself @Big_Dan_Campbell @mickee321 @Julio_Geordio @lazarus @TheUlteriorMotive @pulpfiction @Un-Reale

5 Likes

Cc @bandage @BruidheanChaorthainn @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy @crutches @Fat_Pox @Gavrilo-Princip @Loko_Cove @spidey @artfoley @briantinnion @mikehunt @codegreen @enrique @PhattPike @Phil_Leotardo @tank @TreatyStones

1 Like

I’ve 10 miles done in the legs this morning and have a bit of a twinge in my Achilles so I may be a non-runner on safety grounds. I’ll see how I go over the next few days.