TFK Virtual Run Series Event 4: How High Can You Go? the Vertical Challenge

Had to give you something to chase. No bother you ya. I should have held off.

I could have picked an easier route and probably got similar elevation

No, thatā€™s a superb effort, hill running isnā€™t as easy to read a few stats like that from but serious kudos, thatā€™s fine running

1 Like

Thanks mate. While Iā€™m slow, Iā€™m definitely getting a bit of my climbing legs up. Was well able to shift from jog to hike and back a number of times (saw a video with a mountain ultra runner saying once the gradient goes beyond 15%, youā€™re as well walking it). Would try doing 30-45 seconds of each, switching. Calves and quads held up well.

1 Like

Handy run through mud and puddlesā€¦

4 Likes

@Big_Dan_Campbellā€¦ started getting tightness/pain behind knee on inner part on the way backā€¦on the very inner part. Youā€™ve put something up about this before?

It is a thin muscle at the top of your calf which is impacted. Itā€™s a constant soreness which you should feel pretty much every stride, like a golf ball being attached to the back of your knee and pressing when you bend it in stride.

Best thing to do is lie down and flex your calf and get someone to feel the top of your calf, it is around the middle just on the inside of your calf and is a long thin muscle running straight down a few centremetres in width. Once you/they find it get them to jam their thumb into it as hard as they can and hold for a minute or as long as you can tolerate. Ice it afterwards and it should feel a lot better in the morning

1 Like

Good man ā€¦yeah I dug into the calf earlier and got some relief.

Not sure if Iā€™m going to get this done this weekend, heading to Wexford tomorrow for the week and I donā€™t think there are too many hills where Iā€™m going, @Gman might be able to point me in the right direction. If not will I be able to postpone until next weekend?

Yeah mate, Iā€™m flexible enough as to when times are logged if everyone else is ok with that?

I just want people to get it done and embrace a few hills

Head to JFK arboretum and go for a run up sliabh coillte which is just about at same entrance into the park. Kids will like the park.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a good app called Alltrails which will find, map and direct you to good trails nearby, wherever you are in Ireland, well worth downloading

3 Likes

Eggcellent suggestions lads

Wikiloc is another one @Fran

1 Like

Run up an aul bump in the road and youā€™ll bate that Cark cunt @Thomas_Brady

Not an official entryā€¦ You plick.

You logged it and Iā€™ve recorded it

@caulifloweredneanderthal

7 Likes

The elevation gain :astonished:

feet not metres boy.

Right, I have a route but itā€™ll be likely during the week or next weekend. I wouldnā€™t be beating @caulifloweredneanderthal but should get 400m odd of climbing in it. Havenā€™t done a bit of exercise in 10 days so need to ease myself back into it