TFKHDTJPPT 2020 - Preliminary Heat 3 - Fanaithe Nogra v Kelly's Heroes

Fanaithe Nogra managed by @Raylan takes on Kellys Heroes managed by @eoghanruadha

Fanaithe Nogra

James McGarry 4

Frank Lohan 2-Philip Maher 4-Mick Kavanagh 4

Padraig Mannion 6-Ronan Curran 8-Matthew O’Hanlon 2

Tom Kenny 6-Colm Galvin 6

Niall McCarthy 4-Bonner Maher 6-Tony Kelly 8

Noel McGrath 8-Aisake Ó hAilpín 2-Conor Whelan 6

Kelly’s Heroes

1. James McGarry (4)

2. Mick Kavanagh (4) 3. Paul Curran (2)4. Noel Connors (4)

3. Eamon Corocoran (4) 6. Ronan Maher (4) 7. JJ Delaney (12)

4. Derek Lyng (6) 9. Jerry O Connor (6)

5. Timmy McCarthy (2) 11. Seamus Prendergast (2) 12. DJ Carey (10)

6. Eoin Kelly (Capt.) (12) 14. Conor Clancy (2) 15. Luke O’ Farrell (2)

===================================

James McGarry and Mick Kavanagh tog for both

• Fanaithe Nogra - Raylan
  • Kelly’s Heroes - eighanruadha

0 voters

The big hitters on lines 3,5 & 6 carry the day for Kelly.

Eoin Kelly’s record from play against Mick Kavanagh in championship should be borne in mind I feel

I’d be sending O’Hanlon out to spoil DJ, as he often does to good effect against Canning. My halfback line would get the upper hand there and dominate possession for my much better-balanced set of forwards.

@Eoghan_Ruadha’s team would definitely struggle for scores

2 Likes

There is a clear & obvious choice here.

A note from Management -
Eoin Kelly will “Hit Frees”.
DJ Carey has been given a roaving roll and will link up with Kelly as Pender and McCarthy sit on their respective markers making them null and void .
Kavanagh will man mark McGrath - Kavs stickwork and man marking too much for McGrath in the confines of the corner.
Noel Connors will pick up Conor Whelan and physically dominate him - Whelan will be hauled off with 10 mins remaining noting his frustration that there are no subs. The Irish times will later report this as being the source of his Altercation with the law later that night in Galway City.
Tony Kelly will inevitably sulk away from JJ having been cleaned in the air in the first 10 minutues. He’ll attempt to hide in the half back line and pick up loose ball where he will be out tracked by Jerry O Conner. The odd loose one that is picked up he’ll be met square by Lyng charging forward.

Kelly and Carey ultimately ripping up the ground and Opposition .

4 Likes

You might hold one but never two on their day.

Relative value for me Raylan is a 37, Eoghan’s is 34.

I just can’t see why you would play DJ out the field and not in the corner.
I would worry about ball sticking to Raylan’s inside forwards and i think both side’s half forward line may well struggle to win primary possession, although Raylan’s should have some success on the ground with Niall and Bonner there.

Raylan edges this one for me

Aisake isn’t even the best full forward in his family ffs

That’s about the height of it vs Kavanagh

2002 AI semifinal 0-4 (shared frees with Paul?)
2003 AI semifinal - 0-8 (0-6 placed)
2009 AI final - 0-13 (0-11 placed)
2010 AI final - 0-7 (all placed)
2011 AI final - 0-8 (all placed)
2012 unused sub

McGrath won’t sit, he’s the conductor in this forward line, given free rein to use his touch and vision to pull @eoghanruadha’s backs apart. Ronan Curran had the better of Pendergrast most days and that won’t change. Mannion will get Timmy Mc going the opposite direction and outscores him from play.

We’re into the realm of fantasy here, Whaylan holds Connors with one hand and does rack with the other

I’m keeping TK away from JJ, sending Niall Mc to that wing to stop him hurling as was done for Cork’s last AI wins
Kelly burns Eamon Corcoran on the far side, good and all a stickman as he was. The Bonner vs Maher the younger is a good match. I expect to at least break even there .

My midfield wins on mobility and hurling, having the dominant half line behind them.

Aisake lights up this fixture in the acres of space left McGrath drifting out. Takes Curran for two goals.

Carey was never restricted to the number on his back - The jersey he invaribaly wore was 12 as is the case here - He has licence to tear it up where he wants here. O Hanlon can choose to follow or not it wont have any impact on the result.

Kelly’s Heroes a unique proposition with 3 heavyweights in the team. Nogra Rangers pinning their hopes on Tony Kelly and Noel McGrath to carry the day. That’s a stretch too far for me.

1 Like

Some lads will have their eye taken by the shiny trinkets rather than looking at the teams in their totality. I suppose it’s a reflection of well you understand the game :wink:

He’s probably not in the top 3 full-forwards in his family.

It’s still relatively early in the year so Tony Kelly could still be effective.

That said I don’t like the Nogra forwards. Kelly’s heroes for me

I’ll agree with you on the Mahers but Ronan will only get bigger and stronger as a result for the rounds ahead.

Luke O Farrell edged it for me.

3 Likes

I could see a lot of goals in this one with McGarry in the nets for both sides

1 Like

The one with Conor Clancy standing in front of him looks uncomfortable.

2 Likes

:smile:

GK - All Square
FB - All Square
HB - Kelly’s Heros
MF - Kelly’s Heros
HF - Fanaithe Nogra
FF - Fanaithe Nogra

FT - 2-2

Kelly’s Heros wins in extra time with a controversial last minute DJ goal where he took about 15 steps with the ball

2 Likes