That Strange Work Phenomenon

happened earlier on today when one of the women, who’s been off on maternity leave, arrived into the office with her 1-month old baby. I sit near the lift and she parked herself by my desk so I felt obliged to stand up, look into the basket at the child, smile and say, ‘congratulations, she’s lovely’ even though I blatantly didn’t give a shit. I was then having a rather uneasy conversation when I was thankfully bailed out by a stream of the other birds in the office practically running up the floor to have a look (at the kid, not me). I then edged away from the mad scramble and sat down while everyone spent about 20 minutes making weird noises at the kid. Why is this such a custom?

1 Like

Christ Bandage, I know exactly what you mean. I for one don’t even go as far as you. I don’t move from the desk. Then we have calls coming in and the bloody sprog starts to bawl and the person on the other end of the line must think they’re onto a nursery or summat. I mean I don’t care about the people I work with let alone their families.

1 Like

Usually because having a kid is one of those defining moments of someone’s life and most people are happy for the haver. Usually, people take an interest seen as it’s someone they’ve worked with for a few years and like. You ,on the other hand, are that less sociable type, the office oddball. Fair play that you managed to conceal a bit your natural inclination to come out with some of your trademark dry wit, which to the uninitiated just sounds offensive, and aggressive. I’m suprised she parked herself and the kid anywhere near you for safety reasons.

try robbing it and hiding it for a laugh.

1 Like

Can’t imagine you saying that for the life of me.

Heard a story of a known cold-hearted female boss in my old, and Tinnion’s current, place of work. She threw a kid out of her and apparently was back in work within a week. Anyway one day a secretary in there, whose sole purpose in there seems to be to annoy everyone, came in with a rather unfortunate looking kid (by its complexion I assumed it was her’s).

Similar to Bandage’s story, a pile of birds went flocking towards her and they were making such a racket that they went into the kitchen area. The boss came in and one of the birds asked her if she wanted to see the baby to which she replied ‘Why?’ Clearly stumped the bird couldn’t respond at which point the boss said ‘I see enough of that at home’

Amen you heartless bitch

1 Like

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Can’t imagine you saying that for the life of me.

Heard a story of a known cold-hearted female boss in my old, and Tinnion’s current, place of work. She threw a kid out of her and apparently was back in work within a week. Anyway one day a secretary in there, whose sole purpose in there seems to be to annoy everyone, came in with a rather unfortunate looking kid (by its complexion I assumed it was her’s).

Similar to Bandage’s story, a pile of birds went flocking towards her and they were making such a racket that they went into the kitchen area. The boss came in and one of the birds asked her if she wanted to see the baby to which she replied ‘Why?’ Clearly stumped the bird couldn’t respond at which point the boss said ‘I see enough of that at home’

Amen you heartless bitch[/quote]

What a legend of a boss.

Pick it up and give it a good shake Woodward style.

It is indeed life defining for the persons involved and their family and friends too. I don’t fit into any of these categories given being someone’s work colleague doesn’t necessarily mean that person is also a friend. I barely spoke to her in 6 months even though she was sitting about 8-yards away from me and if I was a friend I’d probably have visited mother and daughter at some stage myself. Bringing a baby into an office is just plain weird though I agree with you that I handled the situation quite well.

I had to show apriciation when my collegue brought in her baby, her maternity was the reason for me being given a job. I like these strange work phenomenon, they break the normal cycle of a boring day at the office.

What happened her in the end? I vaguely remember the case. Didn’t she get found guilty but made some plea bargain? Maybe she got off in the end now that I think about it. I remember thinking I’d have given her one even though she was pretty ugly, fairly tubby and an alleged baby-killer.

Absolute farce of the OJ variety. The judge announced his verdict over the internet I think. She got off.

You’d give her one alright, but you’d get up on a sack of spuds so it doesn’t say much.

I thought the same as Bandage. She was obviously into a bit of rough.

Woodward then:

Woodward now (she’s the one in the wine top):

She’s now a salsa dance teacher. She was studying law, after getting special permission to do so despite having a criminal record, but dropped out.

You’ld get up on the sack of spuds after Bandage though Flano, so no suprise there.

Sack of spuds sounds hearty to me. Get up the fook. I’m a pervert

I find the whole bringing the baby into the office thing highly irritating as well, my boss is with me, we make ignorant faces at each other while the birds huddle round. I always feel sorry for the poor unfortunate Bandage type whose desk they decide to pick completely at random.

1 Like

Im just sitting through this phenomenon as we speak. I feel like jumping out the window

1 Like

I dont agree with that in the workplace.

1 Like

Yeah there was another one in here last week. I kept my back turned. I’m “not for turning” on this one.

1 Like

There’s randomers coming in for a look now.

“Im just in for a goo”

Get out of my face