That's it ! everybody in RTE should be executed forthwith

Like IPTV and tfk.

You’d be waiting 4 minutes for the goal.

1 Like

There was a golden couple of years where you could listen to it on radio online and sync it with the tv pictures

Lag only occurred when things went digital on TV. It was fine while it was on terrestrial

Hugh is primarily rubby which I don’t watch but he was ferociously irritating at the boxing alright.

Ger is just useless. Maloney annoys me.

Jimmy used to pronounce Benny Wijnstakers with great gusto.

Hugh thinks he’s an expert pundit. Not a presenter / commentator

1 Like

I can’t be having that mate, twas surely George

How twee

2 Likes

You’re wrong.

People at it.

Taxi drivers.

Bus drivers.

People scrounging around for a ticket outside Gill’s at 3:31pm.

He’s useless but when fellas like him and Jamie carragher are on and things start going against their teams it’s wonderful listening on.

Cahill seething during the Toulouse game this year was magnificent.

Pauric Lodge tries to do an impression of Micheál sometimes during commentary I find and it’s just dire. Bernard Flynn is another dose of the highest order.

3 Likes

You’d have to be a very, very miserable sort to dislike George Hamilton.

I wouldn’t want to have a pint with anybody who makes disliking George Hamilton part of their personality.

5 Likes

Give us his top 5/10 iconic commentary lines.

1. A nation holds its breath (obviously)

Plodge’s “one he prepared earlier” lineat the rowing in Paris catapulted him into the RTÉ Sport all time great conversation.

McCarthy & O’Donovan…together in Olympic dreams.

That line will be played back in years to come.

Pauric Pauric Pauric.

1. Out of the fog comes clarity…clarity in the form of a priceless away goal from the left boot of Robbie Brady.

Euro 2016 first leg play-off away to Bosnia.

4 Likes

I dislike him. And I dislike his rte lyric persona even more.

2 Likes

‘Two points thrown into the Mediterranean’.

When Israel equalised late on against Ireland under the Kerr regime.

1 Like

I think I prefer Tan commentators on foreign games but I suppose that’s just the Prem conditioning my mind to Martin Tyler.

Ian Darke was a fantastic soccer and boxing commentator on sky in the nineties to mid noughties. The Serie A chap that died had a wonderful musical quality to his voice as well.

I liked George, decent voice but his style is very affected.

Canning, great voice but no clue, Marty, great enthusiasm; can’t say what he thinks due to the grind of the grift. Darragh is a presenter, Hugh Cahill is a presenter.

The lad doing the Irish match the other night was fine but hasn’t the voice for it really, he also probably needs to commentate more to get better, he should be doing as many LOI games as possible.

I’d say Lodge has the most potential of the commentators around at the minute, I’d like to see him get Canning’s spot on TV.

I can’t stand the cunt on Sky doing Super Sunday now, bring back Tyler the United fan.

Robbie Brady brings us all to our feet in lille. Was quality in fairness

1 Like