The 45s or alternatively 25s or 30s thread

I had a great run on the 45s last night. In fairness a lot was down to the cards I was dealt, but jaysus the cards I got I played beautifully. There was some stunning backplay on my part and I think I picked up the dealers trick every time. I was also sharp enough to pick a couple of lads up for reneging, which was harsh but had to be done.

Net result, voucher for the Christmas turkey secured.

:clap:

:clap:

Not as noble as 110 but a great game

Cracking thread. :clap:

Ah 110! To be honest I love all forms of the game. I do think 110 is my favourite.

So many memories:
Of my father insisting that my brother was cheating. He was but my father could never catch him. Ninja shit. Or at least it seemed to me at the time.
Being scolded by my grandmother for playing the wrong card. It gave me the world class skills I have today.
Wiping the floor with my work lemmings in our yearly Christmas game. I’ve won it so many times I’ve lost count***.
etc…

I’ve been invited to play against the hypothetical inlaws this Christmas. I must destroy them.

[SIZE=1]***Actually, twice[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=“cluaindiuic, post: 1054167, member: 258”]Cracking thread. :clap:

Ah 110! To be honest I love all forms of the game. I do think 110 is my favourite.

So many memories:
Of my father insisting that my brother was cheating. He was but my father could never catch him. Ninja shit. Or at least it seemed to me at the time.
Being scolded by my grandmother for playing the wrong card. It gave me the world class skills I have today.
Wiping the floor with my work lemmings in our yearly Christmas game. I’ve won it so many times I’ve lost count***.
etc…

I’ve been invited to play against the hypothetical inlaws this Christmas. I must destroy them.

[SIZE=1]***Actually, twice[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Playing the wrong card. One of the great sins

Why didn’t you lay the knave

110 the holiest of dem all. 5 in the best IMO. Played games that went onfor hours. Learned 45 from being in the pub with the father as a young fella. cards flying all over the place! Honourable mention to big dom

No harm prodding the dealer.

Spades for slaves and let the go dig.

Diamonds for ladies and crutches for lame ducks

Dick Norris was never in a good hand

The Mullinahone Hearse.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1054161, member: 706”]I had a great run on the 45s last night. In fairness a lot was down to the cards I was dealt, but jaysus the cards I got I played beautifully. There was some stunning backplay on my part and I think I picked up the dealers trick every time. I was also sharp enough to pick a couple of lads up for reneging, which was harsh but had to be done.

Net result, voucher for the Christmas turkey secured.[/QUOTE]

Great feeling catching lads reneging. I taught two dubs how to play 25 during the week. One picked it up fairly handy, the other lad is gonna be on the receiving end of a lot of corrective abuse til he gets it. Or violence, if he hits the wrong lad.

Anyone ever play auction 15? Good gambling game to while away a few hours

No harm in it? More harm if you didn’t!

The Ballingarry Hearse out our way

“Why didn’t you go in with the 5 first day and clean them all?”

Two of the great games. A properly constituted game of 110 is a pleasure but it’s rare enough to get 6 fellas able to play it these days.

We used to play a lot of 3 x 3’s in 45. Super game where virtually every card is is in play (45 cards dealt out of 52). You’d want your wits about you watching two partners.

I’ve played games of poker where a couple of grand was in play and there’d never be a cross word but I’ve played 45 or 110 with the same lads and a digging match would nearly break out over 2 euros!

The simple midland folk fail to grasp the intricacies of 45 and prefer the more rudimentary 25. For some reason, the 2 of diamonds is known around Laois as “Ballyfin”. I think this is some tale of lore about a farmer either winning or losing a farm by leading (and possibly winning) a trick with the 2 of diamonds. @myboyblue might have more information on this.

[QUOTE=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 1054191, member: 1624”]Two of the great games. A properly constituted game of 110 is a pleasure but it’s rare enough to get 6 fellas able to play it these days.

We used to play a lot of 3 x 3’s in 45. Super game where virtually every card is is in play (45 cards dealt out of 52). You’d want your wits about you watching two partners.

I’ve played games of poker where a couple of grand was in play and there’d never be a cross word but I’ve played 45 or 110 with the same lads and a digging match would nearly break out over 2 euros!

The simple midland folk fail to grasp the intricacies of 45 and prefer the more rudimentary 25. For some reason, the 2 of diamonds is known around Laois as “Ballyfin”. I think this is some tale of lore about a farmer either winning or losing a farm by leading (and possibly winning) a trick with the 2 of diamonds. @myboyblue might have more information on this.[/QUOTE]
Outstanding post.

Not heard that out east, what does it refer to?

10 of spades

What about the local variances as well. Do ye play a joker? We don’t but the crowd in Kilcornan/ Pallas do.