The 45s or alternatively 25s or 30s thread

Similarly the 2 of diamonds is referred to where I come from as either “The goat’s tool” or “Ballyfin” (pronounced Ballafin obviously).

No, the joker has no place in the game.

What about the conclusion? Lose best trump at 90, have to go out on a call?

Both. Can make for a long game though.

The Dealer taking one for the table is expected too if a high man calls.

Great thread…haven’t played in years… Not many know the game these days, poker is/was huge in Limerick which killed a lot of younger lads learning it. Is there a virtual one that we could play? That’d be savage…

I’ve seen both sides of the joker bit.
So depending on which side of the family I’m talking to and where I am in the country we absolutely do or absolutely don’t use the joker.

As regards ridiculous sayings…
If you looks like you have a good hand the term “Dogs at Brophys” is used by someone else to call attention to it.

Is this thread Roaster-con?

Cunt of a game

Great game. Myself, the father, the brother and the uncle would be fairly handy at it and play every Christmas. The cousin is shite at it and he has to relearn the rules every year, pretty much ruining the game. Well the cousin isn’t home this Christmas. Clap.

Was taught 25 in the train to Dublin to a match once. Had the hang of It by the time we reached the big smoke, and thought it the finest card game I ever played. Just the right mix of skill and luck. Forgot the rules and never played it since. One of the things that vexes me from time to time.

Been a long time since I played any version. Great games, one and all.
3 x 3 25’s on a Sunday night in Callan used to be extremely serious business back in the day. If you sat in and didn’t know what you were doing, you were liable to get a slap for your ignorance. Many a good singles player that couldn’t handle the pressure and intricacies of a 9’s table.

My father and my maternal uncle had an awful row one night when the uncle produced the joker with a flourish to trump my fathers ace of hearts. There wasn’t another card played between them ever again.

2 Likes

Seven of us play singles 45s every month. The most recent recruit is a Croatian who took to the game like a duck to water.

The father. The uncle. The brother. The cousin. This is the thread to flush out the roasters.

I does be only trying to get a rise out of me oul mucker Bandage, balbec. I’m as suave and sophisticated as they come.

One of life’s great pleasures is sitting with the play coming into you and holding the 5 of trumps and a fortyman throwing down the jack thinking he’s out the gate.

1 Like

Sure how would you wire?
Have the auld instant messenger open I suppose.

Right, the wife has upped sticks and left me for the night, this thread has inspired to see if I could round up 6 for a game this evening.

(as a by the by, one of the auld stock lads I’d play with used to have a horse called “havewesix”)

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1054282, member: 1786”]Right, the wife has upped sticks and left me for the night, this thread has inspired to see if I could round up 6 for a game this evening.

(as a by the by, one of the auld stock lads I’d play with used to have a horse called “havewesix”)[/QUOTE]

Is five not a better number? Six is grand but its all trumps winning with that many

Signing in.

25 country.

My Dad was a fierce player. Some amount of bottles of brandy in our house as a result.

He took it extremely serious. If he was in competitions in pubs before Christmas he wouldn’t drink. He also insisted that we never entered such competitions in case we showed him up (I think it was secretly that he knew we could beat him).

One of the biggest no nos was ‘hitting’ a man who was only 5 when another man was 20, instead of reneging. There was so much emphasis in ‘keeping the game in’ and having another round.

You approached those matches with extreme caution. Those old lads wouldn’t think twice fucking you out of it for the least mistake.

Myself, my brother and a few pals played 25 amongst ourselves one New Year Day in Cusacks. It ended up being 20 quid a game. Old fellas going mad ‘ah it’s not about the cards then!!’

2 Likes

25…The only thing Sean Quinn ever gambled on.