The 6 Nations 2024

What people forget about Campo’s game too was his boot. He had an absolute ginormous spiral/torpedo kick on him. He was among the first who could kick from 22 and find touch in opposition 22. In Oz it was the Gilbert ball used and that cunt could make it fly.

Didn’t display it that much at intl level as wallabies were all running and the likes of lynagh and roebuck proficient but playing for nsw hed unleash it and gets little credit for it.

1 Like

That was an iconic wallabies side. Akin to a Brazilian football team they were like something from a different planet.

It should happen more often

Munster still get a few midweek touring teams

Scrum has gotten much worse and the lineout much better. I played adult rugby for a season or so before lifting was properly introduced. As a young lad playing 9 occasionally it was a fucking nightmare as the ball was coming at you from all angles with the opposition piling through. The scrum half stopped dive passing as well at that time

I think dummying from the base should be allowed back. With how organized quick rush defences are and how defensive line sits on or beyond last foot, it would be a way to keep the defence honest. If they fell for the dummy and began to retreat, it opens up the attacker on front foot attacking defence on back foot. If they didn’t fall for it, they’re still not off the line as fast, giving attack that bit more time

Use it or lose to police its not abused and think it would be good to have it back

2 Likes

I don’t understand this post as I don’t watch that much rugby. Exactly what “dummying” is currently banned?

Rob Saunders was all dive passing. Franno was very good that day. Big Brian Robinson from Ballymena the number 8 kicked a couple of lovely clearances to touch. I’d say the only time Gordon Hamilton had the ball in his hands in that match was going over for the try.

You can’t dummy a pass from a ruck to pretend ruck is over

Can’t dummy from base of a scrum or ruck

What’s the logic behind that?

I honestly can’t remember why it was removed. Leading to too many penalties or perhaps slowing the match down?

But it could be a tool well used in today’s game

1 Like

You should have dropped up to me and you would have seen the last 15 minutes.

Campese had a massive yellow streak in him. His play for Hamilton’s try was pathetic, his initial attempt to gather Staples’ kick through, and then he simply gave up chasing Hamilton. He did a post match interview where he said “luckily enough Rob Egerton got across to him” in reference to the Australian number 14 who couldn’t stop Hamilton reaching the line. All Campese was worried about was attention was drawn away from his terrible defensive play during the move.

Campese was an absolute genius and a total loose cannon who was always primed to do something stupid. His personality reminded me of John McEnroe. He knew he was brilliant and didn’t mind telling people, utterly arrogant, he styled himself as being Mr. Modern in opposition to an imagined old boys club of old farts, and ridiculed the involvement of women in the sport.

I preferred contested lineouts and scrums which didn’t collapse constantly. Rugby was a game meant to be played by amateurs.

1 Like

Rob Saunders made a total bollicks of a kick to touch straight after Hamilton’s try which gave Australia excellent field position for the lineout that to led to Lynagh’s winning try.

1 Like

The contested line outs were great fun to watch but as @gilgamboa said must have been hell for a little scrum half. In one five nations in the 80s France had scrum half Pierre Berbizier throwing in the ball to the line out and hooker Daniel Dubroca standing in the scrum half position but they didn’t persist with the experiment.

I think that used to be quite common back in the day, which would have been before my day. The Australian hooker in 1991 Phil Kearns threw the the ball into the lineout with two hands as opposed to one hand, which everybody else then did, and there was a lot of tut tutting about this two handed throw, it just wasn’t rugby.

French scrum halves used to throw into the lineout and throw from between the legs wasn’t unheard of.

3 Likes

I’d say it was something that caused many unnecessary pens and flare ups… How many times should you be allowed dummy it for example… There are plenty other stupid things they could remove as well like the fellas making a long chain at the breakdown to prevent a block down

It went professional because the SH teams were pretty much professional and the NH teams couldn’t compete.

The whole point of rugby league was to go pro.

3 Likes

It was actually brought in to stop what was perceived to be unfair penalties. The defending back rows orcscrum halfs at the fringes may not be able to see the ball and were getting caught giving away penalties by the scrum half dummying, and them being drawn into encroaching offside. Anything that encourages fast ball away from a ruck should be encouraged, and this does. I think it’s a good rule.