The Accents Thread

Legend

Partial to a bit of ‘Link-driving’ it seems and a flutter…

I must admit to liking the Kerry twang on a women

Sick bastard

I know but sure I had to tell someone

wexford town accent on a bird is an absolute shocker “alrigh dare hun”

Quare bad like

You horrible cunt…

Fuck sake @Tassotti don’t be wasting our time with this bollocks

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved:

A top 5 finish is very respectable

13.Tipperary
Pretty inoffensive but when they talk you listen.

Harmless sort of people

2 Likes

They’ve clearly never listened to someone from Tipp speaking. Like a fucking drill.

It can take many years to tell different Irish accents apart. The majority of counties have minor variations on the standard, broad rural Irish accent.

Of the non-Ulster counties, only Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Looud have truly distinctive accents.

Wexford and Mayo are in the next category of distinctiveness, above the rest.

The Tipperary accent is relatively featureless, but it is the standard, stripped down, broad Irish rural accent, stripped of the annoying inflections that most rural counties accents’ possess. It’s a very plain accent but it’s a solid accent. It’s the pizza base on which other accents layer their bland toppings.

To the west, the Limerick and Clare accents add an annoying, acidy whine.

The arc to the north and east and south east of Tipperary, roughly following the course of Barrow, through Offaly, Leix, Kildare, Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford, is an arc of deeply alkaline flatness of accent. Offaly is a hoarse, chesty sort of flatness. Offaly is flat but the rest of the Barrow corridor is flah. Leix, Kildare, and Kilkenny are a flahher, more annoying flah. Waterford is a more chewy, acidy, whiny flah, epitomised by Sean Kelly.

The Wexford accent is a switchback mixture of South Armagh and Waterford, with huge up and down inflections from word to word.

If the Mayo accent was an animal, it would be a strutting peacock. This accent is epitomised by John Maughan, Enda Kenny and Lisa Chambers.

1 Like

A Limerick City accent and a Clare accent sound nothing alike…

1 Like

The girl on that awful ‘things Limerick people say’ video in that link is from Clare. Lissycasey actually.

Hence the reason she can’t pull off a Limerick accent, i’d agree with @Sidney that the Clare accent has a whiny undertone

Clear has a whine. Limerick Cihay has a whooiiine.