The Accents Thread

Most bogger accents are the same.

Limerick people would certainly pronounce the t in city and not give it a h(ay) sound that you’re suggesting - It would be a short Cit and long eeeeeeee - In short, you haven’t a notion what you’re talking about.

That sounds very whiny. You’re proving my point.

In said that in Cork, mate.

Wha?

Limmrrick Ciddee

That would be more on your side of the city in Weston and South-Hill and the likes–

Seriously tho, the range of accents in Limerick City is gas - The Island and Garryowen have their own - Moyross/Balla/Thomond slightly different again as is Southill/Weston — and there’s a big difference between an older City accent and a more recent one say over the last 25 years or so.

Then we have the American accents in Monaleen and North Circular road and the likes.

Did you have an American Wake when you left Limerick for Cork?

You’d know an old Galway accent a mile off

They’re still in bits a year later.

Galway city doesn’t have much of an accent - maybe back the west side it does, but Galway City has more of a soft accent / lilt - The county is different naturally.

Send home some money you mean bollocks.

Galway city doesn’t have much of an accent - maybe back the west side it does, but Galway City has more of a soft accent / lilt - The county is different naturally — Would the Loveens from Claddagh still be going strong?

Old Galway certainly does.

Whatsapp me an example of it there.

There isn’t much left after princess takes her cut.

1 Like

You’d know it but a Galway accent is not distinctive in the way a Cork, Kerry or Ulster accent is.

Catherine Connolly TD has the most Galway accent I’ve ever heard.

Her brother was better.

When I was a young lad (probably about 10 years of age) on holidays just outside Wexford town (cc @bandage), there was another young lad from out around Kilmallock direction (cc @balbec). He’d a very strong Co. Limerick accent and a lot of the Dublin boys (who introduced a word new to us at the time which still hasn’t made the English language dictionary - ‘youse’) gave him an awful hard time over his pronunciation of the word ‘thirty’ (I presume he had to say the word a number of times during the round robin tennis tournaments); phonetically, it was more like ‘turtee’ I suppose.
The Kilmallock boy got quite upset and eventually punched one of the jackeens on the nose and sent them all home with tae in their mugs.

3 Likes

:joy: