The advanced gardening thread

I will in my fuck. It’ll be covered by an assortment of raspberries, loganberries etc in a couple of years.

The antibacterial properties of whitewash will be good for them

I think the wall has distorted your camera lens

I’m having an on going battle with a wren. The little bollix keeps getting into the tunnel and eating my tomatoes. I still haven’t managed to get one of the best steak tomatoes ripe without him taking chunks out of it.

Give them wren boys in Dingle a shout, after the Super 8s their diary is free now til Stephenzuz Day…

4 Likes

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
St. Stephen’s Day was caught in the furze,
Although he was little his honour was great,
Jump up me lads and give him a treat.

Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
And give us a penny to bury the wren.

As I was going to Killenaule,
I met a wren upon the wall.
I took me stick and knocked him down,
And brought him in to Carrick Town.

Droolin, Droolin, where’s your nest?
Tis in the bush that I love best
In the tree the holly tree,
Where all the boys do follow me.

We followed the wren three miles or more,
Three mile or more three miles or more.
We followed the wren three miles or more,
At six o’clock in the morning.

I have a little box under me arm,
Under me arm under me arm.
I have a little box under me arm,
A penny or tuppence would it no harm.

2 Likes

The Town, it climbs the mountain
And looks out o’r the sea
At sleeping or at waking time
Its there I’d like to be
To walk again those kindly streets
The place where life began
With the Boys of Barr na Sraide
Who hunted for the wren

IThis should be in the woeful journalism thread. The key sentence is left for the end, with no explanation offered. The largest study concluded there is no link to cancer from eating produce that was treated with Roundup. At the stage of harvesting the minute amounts of the carcinogen (and it is) are harmless. The issue is the exposure people have who are handing it, spraying it, etc. As you would expect there’s a strong causation factor there. There’s a reason the lads spraying the vineyards here use hazmat suits.

2 Likes

Just over a year ago I started propogating Buxus from some plants I had in large pots (Sempervirens) and a small hedge at the entrance to the house (Japonica). Finally today I planted them out so now I have over 20 metres if Buxus hedge which will look amazing in about three years. A grands worth of plants that cost me about $40 in potting mix.
I have the start of them in a semi circle at the start with two ficus trees in the bed and a few roses, which will be added to with some David Austin roses in the spring whem the new season roses come out in the nursery. The box hedge then goes up the side of the house whixh has a large gable wall with jasmine growing on wire up the large wall. I’ll replace this (the jasmine has run its course and new cuttings will be taken for another small wall) with a climbing rose called Dublin Bay.
A great day in the garden, I’m fooking delighted with myself.

3 Likes

Hup ya boy ya, Stella likes that

1 Like

I’m sitting here now with a beer and G&T watching Monty Dons Italian Gardens and thinking about a difficult but strangely uplifting week on TFK.

2 Likes

A picture paints a thousand words…

1 Like

Time to resurrect this thread for 2019. @Fitzy, what have you going on or has the pool project stolen all your fervor for gardening this summer? Wet and cold here, so a few weeks before the spring garden goes in.

Was just thinking about this noble thread. I was very late getting summer vegetables in after the trip home and the building work, but got tomatoes, sweetcorn, zucchini, silverbeet, , cucumber in. Tomatoes coming on well for a late harvest (San Marco and and the little Tommy Toes), the rest has been struggling in the heat, though the sweetcorn will be ready in a couple of weeks. I’ll be more prepared next year. Most of my time has been taken up with the front garden amd sorting out landscaping around the new pool.
Though a front wheel fell off the fucking mower (Husqvarna, decent job) before Christmas and I’m waiting for the dealer to get the part in. I’m well pissed off with them about it, lawn is overgrown, though at least it’s under warranty so no money will have to change hands.
So while I wait for that, I’ll just have to jump into this

13 Likes

Lovely job, nothing like a pool in hot weather.
It doesn’t sound like we will get much subzero here this winter, so will chance putting in the spuds early and have various greens underway already.

1 Like

Long term the forecast here is for colder weather from the middle of January. Not to pick up again until the April.

Probably this jet stream thing again.

There’s no such thing as a long term forecast

2 Likes

And at this point, I’m out.

There is. It may not be right, but there is such a thing.