The advanced gardening thread

Good man.
Don’t forget to make a small contribution to Birdwatch Ireland. They’ll give you a free fridge magnet.

I will so

1 Like

That was a great day out. You could get absolutely fucking buckled there. There is a tent with taps from about 10 craft breweries and 10 distilleries. I had pints from Hope in Howth, Mescan in Mayo and Ballykilcavan or something. I was in a bit of a fog at that stage.

I called to the Birdwatch stand. I made a contribution and got a pin

By coincidence I was wearing a shirt with this motif

The lads at Birdwatch thought I Was an Uber birdwatcher and we had a great chat. I love the oul birds I said on more than one occasion.

9 Likes

Only two likes @Fagan_ODowd shower of city slickers around here.

Harvesting now

7 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve arrived at a juncture in my life where I feel the need to grow lots of mushrooms. it turns out some are best grown on hardwood, I’ve bought a hape of mycelium covered wooden dowels, pilfered a load of wood from some public land etc. Oyster, lions mane, turkey tail. Shittake …you drill holes, hammer in the dowels, cover in plastic and wait.
What else would you be at?

7 Likes

Fantastic stuff mate. Do keep us updated on the outcomes.

Lions mane are the king of mushrooms.
Good luck.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your support. As there’s a slow turnaround on the log mushrooms I’ve also bought a sawdust kit, apparently they begin producing the goods in 5 weeks.

That’s the hedge clipped for the glorious 12th

7 Likes

Enjoy the bbq tomorrow

Corned beef! No way I’m breaking with tradition

1 Like

The peach tree in full bloom at the moment

3 Likes

And at night

3 Likes

Finally finished the landscaping around the pool. The large green glazed pot has a (very small atm) olive tree and the colorbond planter will house herbs, very handy as it’s right beside the back door from the kitchen. Both pot and planter were picked up off the side of the road as people were throwing them out, which I find amazing. A hairline crack in the pot. A coat of paint on the planter and it’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Just above the planter on the Colorbond fence is a passionfruit on a wire lattice, gave us dozens of fruit last year which herself was delighted with. Today, in the middle of winter, I noticed the first flower on it, months ahead of schedule.

Also today, I planted the last of three (3) David Austin roses in the bed I had previously referred to above, bordered with English box (Buxus Sempervirens) I had grown from cuttings.I’m tremendously excited about this, the last one was the Mary Rose, in honour of Mrs Fitzy

2 Likes

Spring has sprung here, it’s like someone flicked a switch and hey presto, heat.
The traditional marking of the advent of spring is Father’s day and the redoutable Bunnings Gift voucher, which has been spent on premium potting mix and this lot which will be planted over the next few weeks.
(Among others)

Cc @Tassotti

4 Likes

I have a gable wall with jasmine growing over it on wires outside the bedroom. Tbe fragrance at the moment is amazing.

Pulled the pink fir apples there. Will do the golden wonders next week.

4 Likes