The advanced gardening thread

Starting to plant out the summer vegetables tomorrow, now that the grassroots football season is over and I actually have some time to myself at the weekends.
Doing a lot of work on the front lawn, raked with an iron rake to take all the dead thatch off and aerating with a garden fork, a process that takes a bit of time, then mowing regularly.
Starting to pick these chaps at the moment.

3 Likes

Well done mate, you’re an example to us all. There you are 12k miles away bursting your hole to grow stuff that folk here tip into Aldi for.
You should come home and become a horticulture consultant to the state. The useless cunts in Arbour Hill would benefit from your knowledge and vivacious enthusiasm .

1 Like

I really actually love it. I work long hours in a pretty stressful job, I’m trying to manage a wife and 16 year old nit killing each other, but any free moment I’m thinking about what I’m doung next in the garden. I read a lot of garden design books and have really educated myself over the last 10 years. It’s good to have an obsession like this, especially one that gets me outside doing stuff. I was always in awe if what my Dad did in our garden at home, now I understand what he got from it.

1 Like

Saturday night, wine, beer, Gardeners World. Bliss. I’m in love with Frances Tophill.

Who is he?

1 Like

That’s a poor effort Fagan.
Some of the stuff the Caribbean community in Birmingham grow on their allotments is wonderful.

Did a huge job on the engine room of the garden last week, my compost bins and makers. With a few pallets I was able to reconfigure everything to simplicity, allowing me easy access while guarding the bin (where scraps are thrwon) from canine attentions.

Painted grey like the fence so you barely see it all.

Rest of the vegetable garden is powering ahead. Tomatoes (three varieties) , capsicum ( cc @tassotti) rhubarb, sweetcorn, rainbow chard, borlotti beans, cos lettuce, zucchinis, cucumber , spring onions, red onions. The passionfruit iver the herb planter is going mental. A lot of watering, but even now we’re getting heaps of fresh, organic vegeand herbs from it.

4 Likes

If you’re looking for one plant that will produce an abundance for you, it’s Rhubarb. I planted 4 crowns in winter (haven’t had rhubarb for about 3 years). Been ateing it all week, it is sensational.

5 Likes

What about courgettes. They are unreal to produce.

Rhubarb is an unreal plant. Needs no care whatsoever.

They are. Mrs Fitzy picks a few every morning now and has them with some rainbow chard and garlic and parsley from the garden with eggs. Ine if the benefits of the vegetable garden is keeping herself happy.

They need a shit load of water here (like everything else). They are a very hardy plant though.
When I planted them, I added a load of worm castings which I think made a serious difference.

1 Like

Good weather until at least Thursday next week. Cool, hardy and dry.

Get out there lads and get the garden tidied up for the winter. Could be your last chance.

1 Like

You’re not supposed to eat first year rhubarb.

I know, but what else can I do with it? It’s going mental, I have to pick some to lighten it up. It’s absolutely beautiful.

Compost it. And buy bogroll in bulk.

2 Likes

I spent the day out in the garden - weeding, and it badly needed to be done. First time ever in December I’d say.

The climate is gone mad I tell you. Mad!

1 Like

The dawn chorus is amazing here this evening. Never heard the birds singing this time of year. They’re confused.

Cherry tomatoes picked today. Should have the first of the Oxblood and Romas next week.

3 Likes