The advanced gardening thread

Tomato season, though I really need to plant them earlier this year.
Getting towards the end of summer and it’s all getting a bit feral, but still plenty coming through.

10 Likes

Some unreal bruschetta on the cards I’m guessing

Absolutely, even grew the red onion for it.

1 Like

I hear having a slope is a pain in the bollocks alright.

Sure wouldn’t it help him start the car on frosty mornings in Sydney?

https://archive.ph/gtXqy

Looking to scarify, aerate and overseed the lawn. Is now a good time?

I

t’s 1 in the morning mate. The neighbours will call an ambulance

9 Likes

Now would be the perfect time

2 Likes

I’d be interested in this as my lawn is just a layer of moss at this stage. what are the steps?

Poke holes in it with a sprong.

My thinking would be scarify with a rake, aerate with a fork and then overseed. Then in 6 weeks fertilise. Does that sound about right @Fitzy ?

2 Likes

It needs lime or the moss will come back. Ph should be 6.3

1 Like

That sounds perfect mate. I would (depending on the size of the lawn) also advise a covering of topsoil. I’m not au fait with current thinking regarding moss (as we don’t really have moss in Australia) so I will refer you to @PasqualePaoli here who seems to know.

1 Like

You might need to apply some sulphate of iron to try kill the moss after scarifying

thanks everyone. its a nice size of a lawn so i might need to hire out a scarifier machine.

1. scarify
  2. aerate
  3. sulphate of iron
  4. overseed
  5. fertiliser after 6 weeks

would the sulphate make shit of the seeds?

You can buy grass seed and feed in one package. It’s only a gimmick but might suit your needs

I’d be looking at the root cause. Poor drainage, ventilation, lack of sun. But you seem to have a plan so best of luck.

Apply sulphate now to kill the moss before scarifying

1 Like

Sulphate of iron, although very good at killing moss, lowers the pH of soil, making it ideal conditions for the moss to re-appear. Because of this, when using sulphate of iron, you should always follow up with an application of lime to correct the ph

From someone more knowledgeable than me on the matter.

1 Like

End of summer, vegetable garden gone feral. Getting basil and some Zucchini’s but not much else now. So time to clear it all and prepare the beds for winter planting.

3 Likes