The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

1 Like

Beautiful. That’s what it’s all about. More of that and less interference from TMOs please

They love their rugby in Clare, as evidenced by a recent poll which put Munster winning a Heineken Cup as the greatest ever Clare sporting moment. Best wishes to Lisdoonvarna and Hellhounds RFC.

From the Indo.

Munster Rugby have announced that two new clubs have become members of the Munster Branch of the IRFU.

The Munster Branch Committee ratified a proposal from the Munster Rugby Committee to award membership to Cork Hellhounds RFC and Lisdoonvarna RFC at the Branch meeting on the June 2.

Cork Hellhounds RFC is an LGBT-inclusive rugby club based in Cork. Their aim is to encourage and promote rugby among the LGBT community in Cork and the wider Munster region.

The team train weekly in Cork City where complete beginners and experienced players are welcome to take part, regardless of sexuality or gender identity.

Club president and founder Adam O’Brien said: “It’s fantastic, it feels very surreal. Munster Rugby has been behind us 100%. There has been plenty of support for myself and my committee in getting this done over the last couple of months.”

Lisdoonvarna RFC will provide a rugby offering for underage players in the North Clare region. The club operates out of the pitches at community-owned Lisdoonvarna Failte CLG.

The club will also be hosting the IRFU’s Give It A Try programme on July 27 which will offer an opportunity for girls aged 8-14 to learn how to play rugby in a fun environment.

Honorary Secretary of Lisdoonvarna RFC Frankie Burke said: “It’s great to have the club up and running now and we’re looking forward to Give It A Try on July 27th.”

Head of Rugby Development Colm McMahon said: "Although it has been a challenging year for domestic rugby in the province, we can now look forward to welcoming two new clubs to the Munster Rugby family ahead of the 2021/22 season.

“I would like to congratulate Cork Hellhounds RFC and Lisdoonvarna RFC on becoming members of the Munster Branch. It is a testament to the passionate volunteers and our hard-working staff that we welcome the addition of two new clubs after what has been anunprecedented 18 months.”

You had to do some work to make that happen, kudos

Great to see clubs pop up in nontraditional areas. GAA isn’t for all children and at least there is another option of a sport or something to do in the winter months. Over a few years it builds and when the community get behind it better. I remember playing an underage final vs kilrush. They had a massive support travel. Similarly a number of years ago we played mitchelstown in the junior cup, the first time they got to the last 16 and first time they faced one of the big senior clubs. All they had was a big field down a boreen but there was easily 2000 plus in attendance. Definitely one of the toughest games I ever played due to the conditions

2 Likes

Fair play to you, pal.

You might very well be the very first grassroots rubby man on here.

I don’t bother with the pro game anymore outside of international games. Come next season Saturday and Sundays (hopefully Friday nights too) will be at some game in limerick or cork. I highly recommend anyone to go down to their local club and enjoy a few games. Most club’s have a bar too and are looking to have games on evening times to attract in a crowd.

If anyone is interested they can pm me and I’ll recommend local cluns near them. All clubs offer rugby for boys and girls up to under 12s and boys upto 18. Not all have underage girls teams yet but the irfu are pushing this requirement with the view of having it mandatory for a senior licence in a few years

1 Like

Lot of old fashioned “traditional gaa” heads would be way too closed minded to try that. Would be expecting to see a scene full of protestants in blazers and ties drinking port. You’d know the types a mile off.

Most clubs around the country are full of lads who played every sport. Not many better games to play in a team than the rubby

1 Like

Theres only a handful of those old school protestant clubs around, I can think of a junior club in cork alright, the only Dublin old boys style club in munster would be crescent. A lot of the cou try clubs would have much the same folk involved in both rubby and gaa. Just civic minded people who like community and volunteering which is the best part of the gaa if you ask me and something the irfu should be trying to tap into more, rather than ticket sales and #teamofus bullshit

2 Likes

I think it is more to do with the fact that lower level rugby is a hard watch.

Junior b hurling is top notch of course :rofl:

Ok Dan, no need to be so touchy.

3 Likes

Who asked you grandpa

It is 100 times a better watch than junior rugby. Pass, knock on, kick,knock on.

Tis of course and fellas not able to rise the ball ffs

We have one @Heyyoubehindthebushes :arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

1 Like

:dart::dart::dart:

Ive been to junior rugby games, mind numbing stuff.

I played rubby to a reasonable level. I’d rather watch a junior b hurling match by and large.

2 Likes