The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

As an aside. I was told the other day thay the Jenkins deal wasn’t a certainty to complete that still some kick back at IRFU level

Also… All the saffers at munster are 100% paid for privately… By fellas who would be well versed in payment mechanics

Private or not its beyond a joke. Is the same private investor paying some of zebos wages?

Don’t know thay

I don’t think its irrelevant really, a lock making his debut when he is 28 is unlikely to ever get up to speed properly at international level. I’m never sure about the idea of a late bloomer, how much of that is due to not being given an opportunity earlier. I can’t think of many players outside the front row who start that late and make any sort of impression.

I think your missing the point here. His club coaches didn’t think he was good enough for a pro 14 game when he was at leinster.

I’m only drawing lines. Zeebs coming back is great. Should never gave been let go

When he was 22. He done the brave thing by going to NZ, and has been at Connacht the last 4 years, often watching on as Quin Roux played ahead of him. Its only since Roux started missing most games through injury that he has been given his chance, and he has been very good.

2 Likes

Well he clearly blocked someone.

1 Like

So we are agreed he wasn’t great when he was young and he is a late bloomer. You didn’t believe in that concept a few posts ago.

There is about 10 different reasons why Thornberry is now in the reckoning for an Irish cap and wasnt deemed good enough for a leinster cap when he was in his early 20s.roux is one, small, element in that.

A fella who was denied many caps by kleyn and Roux was Billy Holland, nobody crying about him because in reality everyone knows he wasn’t international standard either

Well you wouldn’t know really, who’s to know who may have emerged if the saffer mercenaries weren’t in? Somebody would have done a serviceable job

1 Like

You’re better than that surely. Sure Tom Aherne is nearly the same age and hasn’t made much impression in Munster, he is hardly considered a late bloomer yet is he? A 22 year old lock is still very young.

2 Likes

I’d say a lock these days is only hitting his straps in his mid to late twenties.

2 Likes

Ah come on, loads of project players have blocked loads of Irish players.

1 Like

Peter O’Mahony galloping down the wing :grinning:

Davy Tweed won his first cap when he was 35 and he turned out grand.

4 Likes

He had played for his country many times before that though

1 Like

Coughlan

Harry Wilson for the Reds is going to be world player of the year in coming years. He is something else both with and without the ball.

Super he is.

Didn’t realise that his loan spell under Big Mick at Cardiff was going so well!

4 Likes

Ah this is class