The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Pocock on the ballot

Only guy I saw at his prime who, for a brief spell between injuries, was able to match McCaw or better on the day.

Always had an eye on matters bigger than sport. Dude is a remarkable individual.

2 Likes

Heaslip was sent off in the 2010 game I think where we suffered a heavy enough beating but did manage to score.

Cunningham played in the victory over England at Lansdowne Road in 1993. I think he got injured before the England game in '94 and I don’t recall him featuring for Ireland after that.

I’m pretty sure those New Zealand matches in '92 weren’t covered live by RTE?

New Zealand would have featured live on the telly a good few times in the years previous in World Cups and against Ireland in the match when Willie Anderson led the charge of the light brigade into the Haka in '89.

ITV broadcast them later that summer of '92 when they played South Africa in the “Die Stem” match, South Africa’s return to international rugby.

I expect we’ll lose the first test of this summer’s series something like 31-20, fading late on after a close contest, then lose the second by 50 points before steadying to lose the third by just 30.

I wouldn’t have seen them if they wernt but maybe it wasn’t live. We didn’t have multi channels until a long time after 1992

Perhaps. The all blacks in a bit of transition themselves.

It’s genuinely hard to see where rugby goes from here.

7 Likes

That’s a tough read.

1 Like

Pro rugby will be defunct. As stated several times

I don’t think it will be. But the pro game needs to reflect the game fellas grew up playing. It doesn’t at the moment. You go to see a club game it’s like a different sport

I heard on the radio that Spain have been thrun out of the RWC for fielding an ineligible player. Was it because he was actually Spanish?

2 Likes

They were also thrown out of the 2019 world cup for fielding an ineligible player, and the next 2 teams due to qualify were eliminated for the same reason. They have my full sympathy as it reminds me of when we played a lad holidaying in the parish in an u12 hurling final because we were struggling to field - the fact a local teacher who knew every kid in the area was the manager of the opposition meant we met the same fate as Spain in the subsequent enquiry.
Must be very unsettling for Andy Farrell and his team though not knowing who they need to get video footage of as their opposition and it only 16 months away.

3 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0628/1307309-rory-best-defamation-court/

Is every lawyer up north a Taig now?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/0628/1307296-leinster-v-racing-munster-v-toulouse-in-champions-cup/

They’re persisting with the ridiculous new Champions Cup format it seems. Presume the two legged round of 16 ties are one off games now though.

May as well get as many games as possible in whilst they still can.

Less games with this new format. Only play 4 pool games now instead of 6.

Handy draw for Munster, as usual.

The Māori will hammer us in the morning won’t they?

Probably. Lot of experience in their squad

I don’t think so. They’re usually very disjointed. There also isn’t the huge depth there that would have been there previously with the Maori side I think.

For us, we’ve lads with few more weeks both training together and rest in them compared to their opposite number which can make a huge difference.

Discipline always an issue with the Maori team too so if we can keep scoreboard ticking over, I think we win.

Bias may be trumping pragmatism but I think us by 5+

2 Likes