The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Sorry youre correct.

The rugby landscape will be very interesting to see come 10 years time. Concussion the movie is a serious indication of what will happen.

10 years ago, players would have been in their prime. 10years on it is no surprise 8 out of 15 have retired, Id have put it at higher if I was predicting.

That isnt the statistic to skewer rugby with I dont think.

2 Likes

Thought larmour would have made it but frawley covering 10 I spose

He needs to sort himself out under the high ball.

It was unthinkable that neither he or Stockdale would be Ireland starters 5 years ago.

2 Likes

Getting rid of the Lions tour would solve much of the burn out issues.

7 Likes

How would you bridge the funding gap?

I wonder could they move the world cup to every 2 years…but have have teams tour the other hemisphere every second year rather than every year. ie, Ireland would have a summer series or an autumn series,but not both. Home one year in November, away the next. Fewer games but more big games.

Lions tour is the biggest pile of bollocks of all time…players love it tho

1 Like

Its some achievement to be first 15 in a Test in fairness, the pick of 4 teams. Can see why. Id say last time is up with Sexton’s biggest disappointments.

2 Likes
1 Like

Gatland having some impact

1 Like

Think what he’s getting at is the most experienced lads are retiring right before the WC. You need your best dogs for the hunt, AWJ is a serious loss for Wales for example.

2 Likes

Thats a good point

Don’t get me wrong, I went off tangent about the concussion part. It does genuinely scare me to see what’ll happen.

1 Like

I see JJ hanrahan has signed for Connacht. I’d love to see him having a great swansong to his career. Would think he definitely suits the style they have been playing anyway assuming the new coaching ticket doesn’t change tack

4 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

It won’t

Swapping one flaky 10 for another.

Hanging over the weekend’s action was the death last week, by suicide, of halfback Billy Guyton, aged 33. Guyton played 26 Super Rugby games for the Hurricanes, Crusaders and Blues, and also was selected for the Maori All Blacks in 2016.

A popular figure, Guyton was known to have struggled with a bipolar disorder prior to being forced into retirement, due to the debilitating effects of multiple concussions suffered in his career.

It is not the intention of this column to draw conclusions on Guyton’s death other than to say that this represents a fork in the road for rugby in New Zealand.

Inherently conservative by nature, it is no surprise that Rugby administrators have to date aligned themselves with scientists and academics of a similar conservative bent; all cautiously unwilling to draw conclusions and implement actions that aren’t supported by an unimpeachable evidence base.

This is a false premise. Sports bodies like Rugby New Zealand are free at any time to unshackle themselves from any such self-imposed constraints, to deal in the bleeding obvious.

Guyton, Tu Wylie, Geoff Old and Carl Hayman are just some of the prominent New Zealand rugby players whose dire situations speak to the extent of the problem. There are countless of others suffering; players from elite and club backgrounds.

It is true that, over time, more research, and scientific and technological advances will better inform rugby’s lawmakers. But that is no reason not to act today.

To secure rugby’s future, it is incumbent on everyone involved in rugby to contribute to making the game safer; to ensure that rugby retains a balance between acceptable risk and the skill and physical elements of the game that make it so attractive to play and watch.

Guyton’s death highlights that the time to do this is now; through science yes, but more immediately through law adjustments, coaching, training load minimisation, minimum ages for contact play, injury management, return to play protocols, widespread education and so on.

Failure to act in a decisive and timely way will only invite politicians and fearful parents to define rugby’s future. Rugby can, and must, do better than that.

Saw this article earlier, fairly sobering stuff. 4 Munster players went off with concussion in a single game a couple of weeks back, I’m not sure what the final tally was Saturday in Dublin.

Thought it was a brilliant game the other day but the physicality was off the charts. Youd have to wonder about the long term effects.

1 Like