The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

The AK Bets rugby podcast with George Hook is excellent.

He accurately predicted that if Ireland were slowed at the ruck they would lose.

He said the state of rugby union is in a very weak state. Numbers playing the game at adult level are fallen off a cliff especially in Newzealand.
In Ireland, the numbers playing the games are totally over estimated as it includes the likes of @Bandage work colleagues Niamh, Rob & Hannah who play tag.
Clubs who had 6/7/8 teams now only have 2/3/4.
The school players who dedicate their teenage years to the school game basically all give up at 24.

Australian rugby union is broke and struggling to survive.

The English club game is an awful state with so many clubs bankrupt. Wales the same.

The biggest problem is the dangerous nature of the game and concussions from the collisions.

1 Like

What would the New Zealanders player other than rugby though? Their soccer team is weaker now than it was 10-15 years ago when they drew with Italy at the 2010 World Cup. They don’t have any indigenous games like GAA do they?

Rugby league is more popular than ever due to the success of the NZ Warriors NRL franchise. The Australian NRL scouts are scouting.

Basketball is a growing very quickly also with the likes of Steven Adams in the NBA.

1 Like

They’ve been scouting there for years. Won’t make a difference.

We’re very lucky to have GAA in Ireland. It makes a very varied sporting scene and adds a real organic and local pride that just isn’t there in other parts of the world. All the English have in the summer is a bit of cricket or a tennis tournament that is mostly contested by foreign players.

4 Likes

Ya but the NBA is another thing.

Not really. Miles away from them. The Warriors got a bandwagon, same as they would if they existed here.

This meme on rugby is overplayed. The game has never been more popular- France and South Africa are incredibly strong now both on and off the field where as they were a mess 20 years ago.

Game going gangbusters in Japan with them queuing up to host the tournament again.

I think a lot of rugby union’s current problems internationally stem from the problems with sustaining professional club leagues.

France seems to be the only place that can do it and that’s mainly down to the relative weakness of the Farmer’s League aka Ligue 1 in association football.

2 Likes

That’s not true.

Down the south of France rugby is the only show in town.

Lads on here don’t realise how much the top 14 means.

Australian rugby union is a mess.

So is wales, Scot’s are shite, Italy going backwards.

All pro sports in Australia are nearly always a mess. They don’t have enough money to sustain so many sports but they’ll come like trains in the next Cycle.

The NRL and AFL are flying it.

2 Likes

The Welsh appear to be in terminal decline. A dads army effort and the underage tap has dried up. Australia are a pale shadow of their former selves. France and South Africa are strong enough as it is. Those two becoming even better doesn’t really enhance the game at all. We could have a “Big 5” soon with a huge chasm to the rest. It’s worrying that a two time European Cup winning club like London Wasps go to the wall.

3 Likes

Genuine big worry is England going pop. They simply cannot support the professional game as it stands.
I think.only one club isn’t reliant on a sugar daddy for day to day funding, and it’s largely dreary and poorly attended. There is zero glamour.

What’s the solution?

A 10 team premiership backboned 50/50 by RFU/private backing?

I’d imagine 8, but they badly need to generate a more attractive format. I’d often get offered free sale sharks tickets and I’d rather sleep on the couch.

Yes but as I said, SA was a mess 20 years ago.

Neither the Welsh or Scots have ever thrived during professionalism at club level. This is nothing new.

This is just classic Hook bluster.

They’ve already lost 3 teams. There isn’t much more to fall there.

Of course there is when every other team is losing money hand over fist. The whole lot could collapse anytime really.

How sustainable is that model you’d wonder?

Scots and Wales relying on selling out 5 home games a year or else they make even bigger losses than they currently make.