The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

British and Irish league plus South African teams surely a no brainer.

You’re making stuff up, and quoting the clubs.
I bet you thought the lads at Anglo were top top notch
:joy:
I’ve posted the independent reports above.

1 Like

Cricket would be yuge down there
 Any bit of auld grass would be taken over by it during the summer.

1 Like

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2023/06/21/professional-mens-rugby-has-major-financial-issues-which-need-to-be-tackled/

Here you go. Full article

Rugby is in a great place and it drives lads mad.

It’s a niche sport and it’s growing.

The lads who think rugby is in bad spot must be fierce worried for soccer.

La liga and Serie an are farmers leagues. Barcelona nearly went bankrupt last summer.

The French league is largely shite.

Bar the English league and the German league it’s an absolute mess.

The English league is also propped by a bunch of billionaires hardly something to celebrate.

I dunno what’s a bigger laugh basketball replacing rugby in New Zealand or lacrosse replacing rugby in British universities.

Even the champions league Europe’s greatest competition is utterly fucked where you can hand pick at the start of every season about 7 of the last 8 left in it before a ball is kicked in anger.

Give us 7 of the last 8 for this season there please.

I think you’re overdoing it in your eagerness to kick against the tfk pricks. Rugby is not really in a great place. Australia’s travails and the concussion horror stories among other things leave it struggling.

1 Like

All pro sports go through peaks and troughs. The biggest issue with rugby is it’s a niche sport.

The nfl will have the same concussion horror stories and look how that is going. Rugby at least seems awake to the issue and is Changing things to protect the players.

There is so much money in Japan and France it’s distorted the balance. Too many good players are leaving the southern hemisphere for money. That isnt good for the overall game. In football you see how the epl has destroyed all the other football leagues.

I think rugby has improved significantly as a spectacle in recent seasons. Hard to know how improve the
Club game. The Welsh just don’t have the money to support four pro teams. The top 14 is bigger than any European league. It’s a tricky one really. The old Heineken cup was one Great Competition but they ruined it.

Who knows what’s around the corner but rugby is going nowhere.

1 Like

You posted one year of financial results.

What I always said was that there were several clubs that made profits on and off pre COVID.

That is a fact.

Once again- SA rugby was a complete mess 20 years ago. We’ve also since then see Japan step up massively.

Don’t forget Mozambique. They love their rugby in Mozambique.

4 Likes

Another one hunting for the low hanging likes. It’s a fact

Japan

Is it because France are Japan are not English speaking nations that makes it tricky for some lads?

1 Like

Seems like Ireland will struggle to ever host now given the growth in popularity.

Irish rugby doesn’t have the infrastructure to support a line bid. It’s only opportunity to host a bid would be as part of a 1991 type situation.

Ireland generally doesn’t.

In reality rugby is very dependent on association football/municipal stadia for its Northern Hemisphere bids.

All countries are

I suppose that’s right now that I think of it.